Bleach Storage

Swim138

Mar 14, 2018
Tucson, AZ
Should bleach be stored indoors? I have kept it outside in an area that is always shaded (I’m in Tucson) but I’m reading that heat is what degrades the efficacy of bleach. Is there a way to store it indoors without the fumes being bothersome?

Most all chlorine and muriatic acide jugs have vented caps. That bei g said, I keeps my chlorine in the laundry room and have never had a chlorine oder come from the bottles. There are presently 8 full jugs in there right now as I went to the pool supply yesterday to change out my refillable jugs - and zero odor.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Most all chlorine and muriatic acide jugs have vented caps. That bei g said, I keeps my chlorine in the laundry room and have never had a chlorine oder come from the bottles. There are presently 8 full jugs in there right now as I went to the pool supply yesterday to change out my refillable jugs - and zero odor.

Initially this is what I was doing as I too have refillable jugs from pool store, but I started using laundry room for recovering sick cats in a kennel (I run a micro-rescue). I definitely notice odor, especially in summer when it's difficult to keep the house under 80 degrees when it is 110+ for weeks at a time.

I live in Las Vegas so we get hot and this is the first year for me and my pool but I keep mine in an outdoor shed. I suppose if I make additions and the bleach has degraded and is not doing as I expect I would find a new location but if you are not seeing degradation from where you are currently storing I would think it is fine. How many gallons do you purchase at a time and how long they sit would come into play as well I would think.

Just do a quick google search on "sodium hypochlorite half life" and you will understand how to better store or not store your bleach.
Good Luck
-Darin

Yes, I understand it. My question was how to store it inside so that fumes aren't a problem.

QUOTE="Darin, post: 1827474, member: 88608"]
Just do a quick google search on "sodium hypochlorite half life" and you will understand how to better store or not store your bleach.
Good Luck
-Darin
[/QUOTE]

I always keep a couple bottles in our laundry room. Never any smell. We get a whole lot hotter than you all.
Summer outdoor temperatures in our area will make your 10% LC 6% in a very short period of time.

I always keep a couple bottles in our laundry room. Never any smell. We get a whole lot hotter than you all.
Summer outdoor temperatures in our area will make your 10% LC 6% in a very short period of time.

Where are you that it gets hotter than Tucson? It's 120 farenheit here in the summer. Maybe if I wash the bleach bottles, since they are refillable and get bleach on the outside, crystallized and put them in a closed storage bin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I always rinse off my refilled bottles and the 4 jug carrier before I put them in the indoor laundry room. Never any chlorine smell inside then. And whenever I add chlorine to the pool, I dip the entire bottle in the pool after I recap the bottle, then dry off with an old gargae towel before I bring the bottle back inside.

Reactions: Swim138
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.