Bleach shortage

That’s another reason to go with a SWG. I just have to replace the cell every few years and no lugging chlorine.

My understanding is this might cause corrosion or rust. Plus, our pool is ancient. I fear making the conversion would send it into shock and it would implode. Silly, I know. But at this point I see it as putting a Ford engine in a Chevrolet. No matter what you do, there’s always going to be an issue.

I just checked my Bravo bottle and it says 6%!! Used to be 8.25.Not happy. It's the same price too!
Gov’t reduced % that could be put in different types of bleach a couple years ago. Walmart brand went from 8.25 to 6%. But it’s still the best price. If you have a Home Depot near you they sell liquid chlorine at 10% for $10. for 3 gallons. That’s cheaper than what you quoted for your pool store.

Sign over " Pool Shock" 10% at a small regional chain today. NOT to be used to sanitize. Some folks can't buy a clue.

Thank You!
That’s essentially the same reason we were told not to wear masks earlier. So they are saved for the medical community.

Someone is looking out for the pool owners I suppose.

But more likely as you say, clueless.

Sign over " Pool Shock" 10% at a small regional chain today. NOT to be used to sanitize. Some folks can't buy a clue.

Thank You!
Could also be their worried about people using it directly as a surface sanitizer. Sadly small businesses have to play to the lowest common denominator.

Am I the only one who is keeping this a secret from everyone in my life? LOL!! The place I buy my 10% liquid chlorine from has it labeled as “shock” so people aren’t buying it up unless they’re pool people lol. Let’s keep this on the down low ?

So is it better to buy liquid Pool Shock or Chlorine Tablets at this point? I have always used bleach in the past but am worried about availability (and going out in public unnecessarily) in the future. I can buy 10 gallons of the Pool Shock or chlorine tablets today.

So is it better to buy liquid Pool Shock or Chlorine Tablets at this point? I have always used bleach in the past but am worried about availability (and going out in public unnecessarily) in the future. I can buy 10 gallons of the Pool Shock or chlorine tablets today.
I would always prefer liquid so long as it only has hypochlorite and nothing else. This way you are adding CYA independently from the FC requirement. There's no shortage of granular CYA.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
HD hasn't had any 10% for a week now here in Austin. I'm using 2g per week at the moment, going to need some in a week. Hopefully they'll restock soon or will be switching to pucks for a while ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you or somebody you know is heading down 290 to Houston go by Napco in NW Houston and buy it in bulk. They'll fill 5 gal jugs (need wide neck you can call them for details) it will be the cheapest liquid chlorine you can find. A friend of mine lives on Canyon Lake and he buys from them in large containers.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
check atwoods it has been 1.99 for 10% here in Waco
I finally got it today at my HD 5 miles away. Checking stock daily on their website, seems to get added to 1 store at a time. Waco is a 110 miles from me, not worth it. I'd buy pucks before driving that far for bleach. Bought 6 cases (18g), enough for almost 2 months.

I'm wondering what happens when New York State closes non-essential businesses, shortly before I want to open my pool. I bought about 25 gallons of 10% bleach at the pool store (which yes, I know degrades quickly depending on storage temperature) but I'm really wondering if I should buy some stabilized pucks just in case. No WAY am I staring at a green, unusable pool after my family of five has been "isolating" for months. It's already difficult and it's only been a few days!!! Anyone else have a plan for if/when liquid chlorine isn't available? I'm looking for options... * planner * over here. It's killing me that I haven't solved the problem already, so please don't tell me everything will be fine and I can trust that the grocery store will have bleach by then. Not feeling so trusting at the moment!
Cal Hypo is not really all that bad in a pinch.

Cal Hypo is not really all that bad in a pinch.
Oy! Tell that to the poor folks in AZ who fight CH up as high as 1000! We've heard stories of pool stores there actually selling calcium to folks. One must weigh the pros and cons, and if you can manage adding calcium along with your chlorine- more power to you! Just test and manage.

Maddie

Oy! Tell that to the poor folks in AZ who fight CH up as high as 1000! We've heard stories of pool stores there actually selling calcium to folks. One must weigh the pros and cons, and if you can manage adding calcium along with your chlorine- more power to you! Just test and manage.

Maddie
My water is crazy hard and full of iron. Thats why I run filters. Notice I said "in a pinch". I did not advocate full time usage.

I'm wondering what happens when New York State closes non-essential businesses, shortly before I want to open my pool. I bought about 25 gallons of 10% bleach at the pool store (which yes, I know degrades quickly depending on storage temperature) but I'm really wondering if I should buy some stabilized pucks just in case. No WAY am I staring at a green, unusable pool after my family of five has been "isolating" for months. It's already difficult and it's only been a few days!!! Anyone else have a plan for if/when liquid chlorine isn't available? I'm looking for options... * planner * over here. It's killing me that I haven't solved the problem already, so please don't tell me everything will be fine and I can trust that the grocery store will have bleach by then. Not feeling so trusting at the moment!
Pool supply will be essential in any jurisdiction run by people with a lick of common sense. There are serious health implications from non maintained pools. (Mosquitoes)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.