Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I haven't bought very much bleach, ever. When I have I didn't pay the price much attention. Doesn't matter much at the rate of maybe 5 or 10 bottles over 30 years right? Lol

Anyway, my question is, what's a fair price to expect to pay for bleach per gallon, but more important to me than that, what's the going rate for the 12.5% liquid chlorine. I see it being sold by the gallon on Amazon. Having never purchased it before, though, I have no idea if I'm being hosed if I were to click purchase.

I'm seeing in the neighborhood of $30 for a gallon of liquid chlorine on Amazon.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
The last time (last year) I bought 12.5% from Leslies, it was almost $28.00 or so including tax for a 4 pack. I had to at the end of the season, because I couldn't get pool essentials or equivalent anywhere. I'm near Lancaster, PA, so ymmv.

I have no idea what it is now. I just bought a bunch of HDX 10% from Home Depot and paid about $3.00 a gallon.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention and the ads I was looking at in Amazon were for a pack of 4 or something. I'll have another look. Glad I asked!

If 10 percent is available at Home Depot or Walmart for 3 or 4 bucks a gallon, that doesn't sound too bad. I have no idea yet how many gallons we'll go through in a given time frame.

. I have no idea yet how many gallons we'll go through in a given time frame.

For your 30,000 gallon pool a gallon of 10% gives you 3.3 ppm of chlorine.

That is about average daily FC usage for a pool in full sun in the summer. So about a gallon a day.

Last summer, Here in the greater Sacramento,Ca. area, Lowes was $6.86 / 2 gal , Home Depot was about the same, Now, Lowes has the same pricing, Home Depot $8.98 / 2 gal. Thats a rather large price increase at HD.

I thought I'd found the holy Grail for a few minutes, given the current bleach/pandemic situation. SE Essentials "concentrated" bleach at BILO for $2.99! I noticed it doesn't have a concentration percentage listed on the bottle though.

A little digging online tells me it's 1.5. Yes, ONE POINT FIVE! ?

• Haha
Reactions: mknauss

That is about average daily FC usage for a pool in full sun in the summer. So about a gallon a day.

After getting my test kit, my cya is around 70. With that, does it still only consume the same amount of chlorine? Just takes more initially to get it to an elevated level?

I.e. it looks like I need to shoot for around 9 ppm, but once I achieve that am I still only using about 3.3 ppm daily, and would approximately use 1 gallon of 10 percent?

I ask because I'm pricing a few different scenarios and trying to compare my prices in terms of dollars per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After getting my test kit, my cya is around 70. With that, does it still only consume the same amount of chlorine? Just takes more initially to get it to an elevated level?

I.e. it looks like I need to shoot for around 9 ppm, but once I achieve that am I still only using about 3.3 ppm daily, and would approximately use 1 gallon of 10 percent?

Correct.

Thank you. Y'all rock. I don't understand how ANYBODY runs a pool successfully long term without a resource like this. Since coming here I've gotten into a few discussions with other pool owners about chlorine tablets, cya, chlorine levels, pool store testing, algaecide, etc and it seems like NOBODY gets it or really knows what's going on in the water.

One person non Facebook was asking about opening the pool up, struggling to get it right and they've been to the pool store. I mentioned that they ought to consider coming here, and that they really need to get a test kit and verify PH, chlorine, and stabilizer levels at least. I tried to explain that chlorine pucks add stabilizer to the point that it eventually renders chlorine ineffective. I mentioned that the pool likely just needs a healthy dose of chlorine, which is all a "shock" is, and that could be administered with bleach.

Oh man it was basically social suicide. Lol. Everybody else said take a sample to the pool store, you need to shock it, you need them to give you an algaecide, throw more pucks in, etc etc. And that's the route she has chosen!

Why is there so little GOOD pool care information available?

Reactions: borjis
Why is there so little GOOD pool care information available?

Because the information comes from the pool industry and they would not be able to sell people all the expensive chemicals if they taught the simple science.

Follow the $$$s

I found this at my local mom'n pop's hardware store!

12.5@$3.79

Even if I can find it a little cheaper, as long as they have this in stock that's where I'll go. It's about 2 minutes from the house to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_151412415.jpg
    IMG_20200425_151412415.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: mknauss

How did you determine that? Is there a general rule of thumb about FC use/10k gallons? Or was that an educated guess based on observation of a similar sized pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.