Blank slate/Pool build in Maryland

:party: You did it! You really DO have a pool AND it is a pretty one!!!

Now go out there and give it a brushing! Remember there might be a hit of green in the beginning. The color will change as the plaster cures and the water gets balanced. Man this has worked out for the best!!!!

Kim:kim:

Tomorrow! They are coming to do the equipment startup and will bring the brush in the morning.

Wow! Very nice I might make the 15 minute drive and come up and see it in person. You got beer?

Absolutely, as many times as I referred back to your thread and pictures I owe you a case!

It looks fantastic! Man, I really love your coping.

Congrats!! [emoji324][emoji323][emoji898]

NICE coping!! Very nice indeed :)

Maddie :flower:

Thanks! The coping is the one thing we never second guessed!

The lights work!

- - - Updated - - -

There are at least ten frogs in the pool already.

Thanks everyone, we've been enjoying it since Saturday when the builder said we could go in. They stopped by on Saturday evening when we weren't home to start up the pumps and drop off the brush and chlorine pucks. I've been brushing a lot since then and it is getting a little clearer by the day. We absolutely love the color and it's exactly what we wanted. We had a birthday party yesterday and it was a huge hit that garnered lots of compliments.

When I got home I noticed that they had both pumps on, including the waterfall. I know that water features cause the pH to increase so I haven't been running that 24x7 as it seems like we are already fighting a high pH and the new plaster doesn't need any help increasing it. The drawback I've found is that the return in the deep end is connected to the waterfall pump so when I turn it off, the return is off as well. I was hoping that all of the returns would be connected to the main pump and I'm actually wondering if it was set up incorrectly and was supposed to be. I may run that by the builder to see what he thinks. We still have 4 high flowing returns in the tanning ledge and 4 low flowing ones in the cuddy cove (also in the deep end), along with 3 floor returns so there is water flow but no high flow in the deep end without the waterfall on.

The builder is handling the water for now but it's killing me not to test it. As weird as it sounds I was missing not taking care of a pool after having the above ground one for 7 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be testing the water just to be on the safe side. You do NOT want the PH to get out of control or the FC to bottom out. You can always ask them "Hey I see my PH is off the charts high....I am going to add some m.a. okay?" and see what they have to say.

You do need to run all water features at least once a day to keep "clean" water in the pipes. I agree, WHY did they time the return and waterfall together? Go back and look at your pics and see where the two are connected in the build. It may be an easy fix!

Kim:kim:

I checked with the builder and he said the jet is a waterfall bypass. I don’t see a very easy way to move that to the other pump. I think instead I should try to open the cuddy cove valve more and just use the four jets in there. The water flow is really low there anyway and should be increased.

I was adding acid daily on my startup within 2 days after fill. I think you should be adding acid so check with builder to make sure. I was adding a gallon 3-4 times a week at first. Are you brushing 3x a day?

I was brushing a bunch of times per day but we left for vacation on Tuesday. I will be home Friday afternoon. The pool builder has been brushing once per day and my nephew brushed it another time on Tuesday.

The builder is also handing the chemistry but I’ll start checking as soon as my test kit gets here. I found out the other day he doesn’t provide a test kit. It should arrive tomorrow.

My test kit came in today and we’ve got some issues! pH is 8.26 (two different tests), CH is 150, TA is 160, and FC is 1.0.

I have a 128oz bottle of muriatic acid which is 20% strength. Pool Math only has entries for 14.5% and 31.5%.

I think I should add some acid because the pH is obviously too high and also add some liquid bleach. I am not sure if I should add this 20% muriatic acid or just buy some more along with the bleach this evening.

Use PoolMath and just pick one strength or the other and guesstimate as best you can. You want to do this tonight. Next time buy regular 31% strength.

Don't lose sleep over the TA. It will come down in bits and pieces as you lower the pH. Its the last thing on your list to think about.

Get some Calcium in there to bring it up to at least 300. Don't go to fast on this, you don't want to over do it.

Don't delay and add some bleach in there too (ahem! liquid chlorine) tonight! What's your CYA??

Will do, headed to Walmart tonight and I’ll use up the 20% I do have. I did not test CYA as I was under the impression that it is added after you get things dialed in. Am I wrong?

What do I use to increase the calcium level?

Will do, headed to Walmart tonight and I’ll use up the 20% I do have. I did not test CYA as I was under the impression that it is added after you get things dialed in. Am I wrong?

What do I use to increase the calcium level?

You better get some CYA in there if you want to hold on to your FC against the sun.

This comes directly from PoolSchool (found at the top of the page)- Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.