Black foam in skimmer?

JoseMBG

Jul 17, 2023
California
Hello everyone, so I was looking at my pools skimmer and I noticed this black foam /hard material that seems to flake. I don’t know what it’s called. Is it replaceable so it doesn’t throw flakes ? Attached will be an image

Attachments

• IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello everyone, so I was looking at my pools skimmer and I noticed this black foam /hard material that seems to flake. I don’t know what it’s called. Is it replaceable so it doesn’t throw flakes ? Attached will be an image
Looks like black algae. Break a 3" tablet into a shape that will get into that corner, wet the area and scrub with the tablet. Should remove it. A paste of cal hypo will do the same.

Looks like black algae. Break a 3" tablet into a shape that will get into that corner, wet the area and scrub with the tablet. Should remove it. A paste of cal hypo will do the same.
Black algae ? Black algae can form into a hard material ? I will attempt to scrub it and see if it will go away. Besides scrubbing it, will I need to do anything after ?

Black algae ? Black algae can form into a hard material ? I will attempt to scrub it and see if it will go away. Besides scrubbing it, will I need to do anything after ?
Maintain proper chemical levels. Since that area of the skimmer is not usually in contact with the water continuously, you may have to just repeat the process from time-to-time.

When putting brick coping over a skimmer, you need something strong to bridge the gap so that the coping has support.

This is usually a steel plate.

Regular steel is a bad choice since it rusts.

Stainless steel is a better choice.

See if a magnet sticks to the plate.

Most likely, you will need to cut out the bricks, replace the spanner plate with a stainless steel plate and then reinstall the bricks.

Some people do not use steel for the bridge plate and this will leave the coping with insufficient support to hold a heavy person.

If a heavy person stands on the coping without a metal bridge, the coping can fail at the grout lines.

1693067145463.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be almost anything.

In my opinion, you will probably need to remove the bricks carefully and install a stainless steel bridge plate and then reinstall the same bricks.

Unless you have a strong bridge plate, the bricks are at risk of collapse if someone heavy walks on the bricks or jumps or even a lighter person if the grout cracks.

All I can see is a blurry picture of some sort of dark or black colored material.

What does it feel like?

Does it feel like wood, plastic or what?

Can you get a better picture?

Can you show the flakes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.