Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I didn’t know which section to put this in, so mods feel free to move it, if need be. Now for my dilemma….

I discovered these annoying little black dots on the bottom of my above ground pool liner. They do not come off at all when brushing and I’m hoping there is a way to get the stains out. I am also concerned about what could have caused them? See the pics below. You may have to zoom in because they’re really small dots. I keep thinking they’re specks of dirt but they definitely are not. They’re annoying and sometimes I feel like I’m getting more and more (that could just be in my head lol). Helpppp!! #CrystalClearWaterProblems 😆 Thank you in advance!!

- The Black Dot Stains Queen

IMG_7733.jpegIMG_7770.jpegIMG_7756.jpeg

Last edited:
Weird. It's kinda nice for once knowing full well that there were no magic potions used whatsoever. So THANKS for that. (y)

I'll go with something dropping / blowing from a tree. IIRC you didn't have any direct overhanging branches, but the woods wasn't far behind the pool.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I didn’t know which section to put this in, so mods feel free to move it, if need be. Now for my dilemma….

I discovered these annoying little black dots on the bottom of my above ground pool liner. They do not come off at all when brushing and I’m hoping there is a way to get the stains out. I am also concerned about what could have caused them? See the pics below. You may have to zoom in because they’re really small dots. I keep thinking they’re specks of dirt but they definitely are not. They’re annoying and sometimes I feel like I’m getting more and more (that could just be in my head lol). Helpppp!! #CrystalClearWaterProblems 😆 Thank you in advance!!

- The Black Dot Stains Queen

View attachment 523633View attachment 523634View attachment 523635
I had/have similar black dots in my gunite pool. I put some vitamin C tablets in a sock and crushed them with a mallet. Then I gently scrubbed the dots I could reach and they came right off. Some are a little deeper and I've yet to get to them but will eventually now that I know they'll come up. Give it a try.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Vitamin C is for removing iron stains and those are not iron. Have you tried to scrape them with your nail? What is the result?
I’m going to try that tomorrow with goggles on when I go swimming. The only time I’ve ever had a stain on my liner was last summer when I didn’t realize I had a Bobby pin in my hair and it fell out and rusted, which left a stain. I was able to get it out. These I have no idea what they are. They look like a lot of the junk I scoop from the bottom that my robot misses. I’m going to try everything y’all suggested tomorrow. It’s going to be a scorcher so I’ll be in the pool all afternoon!

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
Anyone doing a roof work near the pool? How about spreading fertilizer willy-nilly? When I see dots like that those are always my first guesses.

Maddie :flower:
Not at all! It’s so weird. I didn’t experience this last season (first season with my new pool) or even back when I had my Intex. It’s a mystery lol

I had/have similar black dots in my gunite pool. I put some vitamin C tablets in a sock and crushed them with a mallet. Then I gently scrubbed the dots I could reach and they came right off. Some are a little deeper and I've yet to get to them but will eventually now that I know they'll come up. Give it a try.
Dumb question…but where do I find vitamin C tablets? When I look on Amazon, I keep seeing supplements lol

Weird. It's kinda nice for once knowing full well that there were no magic potions used whatsoever. So THANKS for that. (y)

I'll go with something dropping / blowing from a tree. IIRC you didn't have any direct overhanging branches, but the woods wasn't far behind the pool.
Nope! Only liquid chlorine, boric acid, dry acid (yeah yeah yeah, I know… but I haven’t used much at all this summer thanks to lower TA and adding borates!), and some dry stabilizer a few times when my CYA needs a boost. No clarifiers, algaecides, floc, or any of the weird junk lol

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.