Black and Decker Pump and Easytouch

yaurlen

Jul 27, 2022
Texas
Moved from here.
I purchased both the B&D 2HP pump and automation interface. I have the pump running now and all seems to be fine in the past 24 hours that I have it hooked up. I'm now working on trying to use automation adapter and I'm trying to get everything hooked into my Pentair Easytouch system

From what I gather, I should hook up to 3 separate relays in my Easytouch panel. Once hooked up, tripping the relay will cause the pump to run at the determined speed.

I'm extremely new to all of this and replacing the pump install was mostly straight forward, but wiring the automation adapter in to the Easytouch panel is a bit confusing. I understand HOW it should be wired, it's a matter of understanding where I should wire it all to?

I should note that I'm not the original pool owner, 1 year into ownership. Breakers are in their own separate panel right next to Easytouch. This was the confusing thing that I spotted when comparing my wiring to others.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Automation adapter wiring instructions (PDF):
Automation Adapter instructions

My EasyTouch panel: (Pump relay is top left)
EasyTouch.jpg

Diagram on inside panel:
EasyTouch_Diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joepaiii
I purchased both the B&D 2HP pump and automation interface. I have the pump running now and all seems to be fine in the past 24 hours that I have it hooked up. I'm now working on trying to use automation adapter and I'm trying to get everything hooked into my Pentair Easytouch system

From what I gather, I should hook up to 3 separate relays in my Easytouch panel. Once hooked up, tripping the relay will cause the pump to run at the determined speed.

I'm extremely new to all of this and replacing the pump install was mostly straight forward, but wiring the automation adapter in to the Easytouch panel is a bit confusing. I understand HOW it should be wired, it's a matter of understanding where I should wire it all to?

I should note that I'm not the original pool owner, 1 year into ownership. Breakers are in their own separate panel right next to Easytouch. This was the confusing thing that I spotted when comparing my wiring to others.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Automation adapter wiring instructions (PDF):
Automation Adapter instructions

My EasyTouch panel: (Pump relay is top left)
View attachment 440923

Diagram on inside panel:
View attachment 440926
Thanks for all the posts as it will help others I am sure. I don't know the easy touch all that well nor do I have the black and decker but do agree - you can use 3 relays to trigger 3 speed selections via the pump automation.

You could also just use 1 and then use the timers in the pumps automation to control how long it runs and various output levels via it's scheduling.

Beyond that I don't really know how the relays in the easy touch work... I will have to find the manual for it somewhere to see if I could help but I am sure someone here knows it.

Y,

The EasyTouch is designed to control Pentair pumps by using an RS-485 serial cable. This cannot be used by your pump.

What you can do is use three relays to provide three low voltage inputs to your pump. Each input tells the pump to run at a specific speed that you program into the pump.

The problem that I see is that you have no empty relays. All of your relays are being used.

I suggest that you power the pump from the load side of your Pump/Filter relay. This would allow you to turn the pump on and off. You would use the pump's control panel and set the pump to run 24/7. Then use the EasyTouch to schedule when you want the pump to actually come on or go off.

You could then just manually push a button on your pump to change speeds.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Note you already have two wires under each LOAD screw on the filter/pump relay. You should not try and fit more then two wires under one screw, especially a high amp pump.

You should take the three wires you want connected to the LOAD screws and wire nut it together with a short pigtail that connects to the LOAD screws.

Make sure your B&D pump is set for 240 volts.

Thanks for the feedback. I did end up creating a short pigtail for the pump as the wires were just a mess as most of you all saw.

Jimrahbe is correct. At the time, I didn't realize all my relays were filled, but they are, so I'm sort of stuck. I'll likely end up returning the automation panel and just stick to using the schedule on the pump itself.

Truth be told, the two problems I was trying to solve with the automation was:
1. Being able to control turning on pressure side cleaner with phone. I have a booster pump for it as well, but will now just schedule around it. Ideally, being able to turn cleaner on-demand would have been nice. Once this pressure side cleaner dies or once I can convince the wife, I'll be obtaining a proper robot and won't have that problem.
2. The spa is powered by the same pool pump. I haven't tested this, but would imagine that the RPMs would need to be ramped up for the spa to work properly. Again, having to walk over a push a button isn't the end of the world, but not as convenient as hitting a button in phone app.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.