Black Algae Invasion

Not necessary. No reason to waste chlorine as at that level you have greater natural loss each day. And this process can take weeks, months.

The method with the pump sprayer works much better than a chlorine tablet. At least for me. Its quicker and more precise. Its also easier.

Ideally brush, them apply LC, then brush, apply LC, repeat.

A mask and snorkel will be useful for this.

So this is not a recommended approach buy I have used it in the past. You might want to use a weak pressure washer to hit some of the larger patches. You have to be very careful to not damage your plaster. Then use the LC on those spots.

I get my chlorine for either of those sources you mentioned. It is strong and fresh, and cheap.
How many sprays do you recommend on a black algea spot and do I place sprayer on top of black algea or from a short distance say 1” ?

Two or three sprays seem to work for me, but every case is different. Think about it as removing layers. You scrape away a layer then kill it, scrape away some more and kill it. Until you have gotten it all.

1” away is fine.

I would also take on a section, and take before and after pictures. Mainly because we like pictures and to prove to your wife that you can do it.

I can also promise you the pool “professionals” will not do as good of a job as you. There is more experience on this forum, then 1000 of them.

Another trick is pour LC directly from the jug down the wall where you have the black algae. It will be concentrated there for a few seconds before it disperses but it make a difference. You waste more chlorine that way but hit bigger spots. But remember chlorine is cheap, marriage is expensive.

Reactions: Bperry
Two or three sprays seem to work for me, but every case is different. Think about it as removing layers. You scrape away a layer then kill it, scrape away some more and kill it. Until you have gotten it all.

1” away is fine.

I would also take on a section, and take before and after pictures. Mainly because we like pictures and to prove to your wife that you can do it.

I can also promise you the pool “professionals” will not do as good of a job as you. There is more experience on this forum, then 1000 of them.

Another trick is pour LC directly from the jug down the wall where you have the black algae. It will be concentrated there for a few seconds before it disperses but it make a difference. You waste more chlorine that way but hit bigger spots. But remember chlorine is cheap, marriage is expensive.
Which sprayer do you recommend for underwater bleach application ? I found this sprayer for bleach application on Amazon but does not say anything about underwater use.

That one is fine. Or if you want it today, just go to lowes or Home Depot and pick one up. They are all pretty much the same for this application. Starting sooner is better than later.

That one is fine. Or if you want it today, just go to lowes or Home Depot and pick one up. They are all pretty much the same for this application. Starting sooner is better than later.
My mask, bbq picks, goggles are coming in today just need sprayer. I’ll get it from HD.

Reactions: Katodude
Since you have a wide spread outbreak start with the SS brush. Save the picks for the deep stubborn ones. Picking all those out one by one will make you crazy.

Brush, spray, brush, spray. You should notice a difference very quickly.

Since you have a wide spread outbreak start with the SS brush. Save the picks for the deep stubborn ones. Picking all those out one by one will make you crazy.

Brush, spray, brush, spray. You should notice a difference very quickly.
Ain't gonna find a pool guy to do that. :mrgreen: :shaking2:

Reactions: Bperry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update*

Just finished brushing and spraying with new pump sprayer. I picked 3 spots to track by the entry steps, attached are the before photos. I sprayed close to water level around the remainder of the pool perimeter. Didn’t jump in.

FC was at 6 sprayed 1 gallon to raise fc to 9.

Forgot to attach

Attachments

• EF4D7FC8-62C2-429A-BBD6-8E8432702D4C.jpeg
    EF4D7FC8-62C2-429A-BBD6-8E8432702D4C.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 40397C40-1324-4ADD-932D-F914F70CFA91.jpeg
    40397C40-1324-4ADD-932D-F914F70CFA91.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 437D5041-4549-40B1-BA68-7211926C2733.jpeg
    437D5041-4549-40B1-BA68-7211926C2733.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Casey
Sooooooooo?

Any progress?
Yes, but BA clinging on to wall for dear life. Thank you for asking here are some pics.

Today’s reading
FC 4- will be adding to raise to 8
CC 0
CYA 20- will be adding to raise to 30

Just lost my magnetic smart stir pill.

Is it safe to jump in the pool say Sunday with my son ? Or should I wait until BA completely gone?

Attachments

• 7FC9D1A8-8BEE-40D7-B73F-9545D74558EE.jpeg
    7FC9D1A8-8BEE-40D7-B73F-9545D74558EE.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 24
  • FED51D15-7D46-4898-B25B-2006F71F783A.jpeg
    FED51D15-7D46-4898-B25B-2006F71F783A.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2D764B59-7868-43FC-A4D9-A7EE8AAB4DCB.jpeg
    2D764B59-7868-43FC-A4D9-A7EE8AAB4DCB.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 24
Yes, but BA clinging on to wall for dear life. Thank you for asking here are some pics.

Today’s reading
FC 4- will be adding to raise to 8
CC 0
CYA 20- will be adding to raise to 30

Just lost my magnetic smart stir pill.

Is it safe to jump in the pool say Sunday with my son ? Or should I wait until BA completely gone?
That BA is not very bad. I think your fine. Is it getting any better?

Reactions: Lbrasci
Black algae is cyanobacteria. To my knowledge, there is no effect on humans from exposure in a pool. The chlorinated pool water kills any thing that it contacts. the BA only survives due to a skin it forms to repel the attack.

Thanks to everyone I am now the pool boy. LoL. My wife did say something why I spent so much money on pool related items: tf -100 refills, LC, CYA 50 pounds, speed stir, brushes, nets, goggles, sprayer, ear plugs, bamboo picks, pH reader (plan on returning- just going to deal with guessing if the different colors), etc.

BA is still present but it is going to take some time to fully disappear.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.