Black Algae Invasion

Hmm. Maybe I didn’t have real black algae. I just brought it up to SLAM and did a light brushing once a day for 5-7 days. The black spots were significantly lighter after the first day and gone after about that week.
Or yours hadn't been there long and didn't develop strong roots down into your plaster. Mine was a gift from the home's previous owner and had probably been there for years. Along with the particle-board attic flooring that I fell through a while back. Good times.... LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Decoy205 and Casey
Update*

Just received my tf100 refill and smart stir.

FC 11
CC 0.5

Pool is looking better. Black algea still hanging-on to wall. Just finished scrubbing. Should i retest fc in the Am or just PM? Or frequency?

Bought a new 5” stainless steel scrubber and 3” tablet holder for pole.

Might have to jump into pool for hard to reach places.

Can’t wait for black algea to be complete gone.

Attachments

• 71D6C4F3-644A-4459-8F1B-4B5DD919F36B.jpeg
    71D6C4F3-644A-4459-8F1B-4B5DD919F36B.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 18BC3CF1-FF75-40F1-8205-665B9A8B1278.jpeg
    18BC3CF1-FF75-40F1-8205-665B9A8B1278.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 32
Get it to 30 ppm. Maintain FC at or above 5 ppm. Likely have to target 8-10 ppm FC each day to keep it above 5 ppm.

Update*

Just received my tf100 refill and smart stir.

FC 11
CC 0.5

Pool is looking better. Black algea still hanging-on to wall. Just finished scrubbing. Should i retest fc in the Am or just PM? Or frequency?

Bought a new 5” stainless steel scrubber and 3” tablet holder for pole.

Might have to jump into pool for hard to reach places.

Can’t wait for black algea to be complete gone.
Be careful with the stainless steel brush. You don’t want to takeoff any plaster. Maybe try a nylon one first.

Be careful with the stainless steel brush. You don’t want to takeoff any plaster. Maybe try a nylon one first.
Black algae is the type of situation where a stainless steel brush should be used. Hit it hard.

The SS brush should not take off plaster unless the plaster is in poor condition. Just keep a watch on the brushes effect on the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully you're making progress so your wife doesn't hire a pool service.

Pool is looking better. I got a week left. Black algae just doesn’t want to give up and come off wall. I been scrubbing everyday. A third pool guy that came to see the pool a couple of days ago , told my wife that we have old Marcite and pool has to be replastered and something about using copper to treat but will turn black. He tested the pool and said the chlorine was high, lol.

I got 5 inch stainless steel brush from Amazon, but the bristles were thin/ easily bendable and not heavy duty. Returning and ordering the more expensive 5” SS brush.

Black algae just doesn’t want to give up and come off wall. I been scrubbing everyday.

People have posted about getting into the pool with a pick to scrape the black algae roots out of the plaster.

With old plaster the black algae roots can get a deeper hold.

Brushing is likely not enough for your situation. You need to go to hand to hand combat spot by spot.

Or just replaster the pool.

People have posted about getting into the pool with a pick to scrape the black algae roots out of the plaster.

With old plaster the black algae roots can get a deeper hold.

Brushing is likely not enough for your situation. You need to go to hand to hand combat spot by spot.

Or just replaster the pool.
If pool is replastered, isn’t black algae going to stay alive and eventually break thru new plaster ?

Looks like you have a lot of black algae spots. So this is going to be a little hard.

I use a bamboo bbq skewer to pick at the spots.
Then get a 1 gallon pump sprayer and fill it with the strongest LC you can find. I buy mine from Leslies, it is the cheapest and freshest around. Get in the pool and spray the spots up close with the pump sprayer.

Looks like you have a lot of black algae spots. So this is going to be a little hard.

I use a bamboo bbq skewer to pick at the spots.
Then get a 1 gallon pump sprayer and fill it with the strongest LC you can find. I buy mine from Leslies, it is the cheapest and freshest around. Get in the pool and spray the spots up close with the pump sprayer.
How well those this method work compared to rubbing it with chlorine tablet?

I see that you are in wpb, where do you buy the strongest LC? I get mine from Leslie’s or pinch a penny.

How successful were you in removing potentially deep rooted black algae ?

I am probably going have to buy a snorkel mask.

Thanks

The method with the pump sprayer works much better than a chlorine tablet. At least for me. Its quicker and more precise. Its also easier.

Ideally brush, them apply LC, then brush, apply LC, repeat.

A mask and snorkel will be useful for this.

So this is not a recommended approach buy I have used it in the past. You might want to use a weak pressure washer to hit some of the larger patches. You have to be very careful to not damage your plaster. Then use the LC on those spots.

I get my chlorine for either of those sources you mentioned. It is strong and fresh, and cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.