Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a shade sail over my pool. Even in perfect TFP water I need to hide from the sun once in a while. But to position it where I wanted it, I needed to run a cable over the water. Now I like me some birds, and have supplied them with literally a million places to hang out (hundreds of feet of fence, an entire oak forest, over 60 trees on site, etc). But they have selected that cable over my pool as the place to be. And so they leave a trail of droppings on the deck under the cable and worse use the pool for their business. Not cool. So...

I'm giving this a try and so far so good. Maybe someone can use this idea for a similar situation in thier yard.

Here's the sail and the cable over the pool.

bird_wire_2.jpg

I attached a small block to the d-ring of the sail, about 1.5" high. I used composite bender board as that holds up well in the elements:

bird_wire_1.jpg

And at the other end of the cable I installed a small screw, also about 1.5" above the cable:

bird_wire_3.jpg

To the screw I attached a small spring, and between the spring and the block I ran a thin stainless steel wire (.032). I thought maybe fishing line, to make it near invisible, but I figured the stainless would be invisible enough (which it is) and the steel will far outlast the fishing line in the hot sun. I added some spikes to the top of the post and a few loops of wire to the spring to keep the birds off of there, too.

Voila! The wire is too thin for them to hang onto, and sits just the right height above the cable to make it too uncomfortable to use as a perch. The spring keeps it nice and tight. After a few weeks my deck is still clean, and I presume my pool water is also better off.

I've taken to using this stainless wire in place of all sorts of fasteners, including zip ties. Zips just don't cut it out in the sun. The wire can be cut to any length and is impervious to sun, water, weather and gnawing animals. I buy it by the spool from Amazon, here. The spring is from Lowes. The spikes are just 8p galvanized finish nails.

Last edited:
A frayed extension cord draped over the cable would have provided you with the same results. And as an added bonus, entertainment. :epds:
Ha, love it. But clearly you haven't seen some of my other hair-brained posts. The one where I describe my battle against the gophers. I installed a gopher fence and did, in fact, electrify it to thwart raccoons that might try to scale it!!

Sails may a future project for me...I love this! Out of curiosity, do you know how long those spools of wire are that you pointed to? I couldn’t find it anywhere, only references to the total weight.
Sorry, no, I checked. The label reads "One Pound" and doesn't give out the length. I found this, so maybe 362 feet (0.032 x 1 lb)?

I'm not crazy about the cable over my pool, but I don't see it anymore (and now I've solved for birds). I watched others here struggle with umbrellas and stands and wind and punching holes in their deck or pool steps. No thanks. The sail is wind proof and the cables and posts are no less attractive (to me) than umbrellas and their poles. Nothing to walk around or trip over. I don't have the freedom to move it around, but my sail provides the shade I want from about noon to 4:00 (and then trees take over), so I always have some shade on the water when I swim (I don't swim before noon). For "mobile shade" I do have an umbrella. I built a wheeled base for it, so I could move it around. And a cemented-in "hitching post" for it so I could strap it to something when not in use to keep if from blowing over. But I don't use it much.

umbrella.jpg

A shade sail will impact, to some degree, the warming effects of the sun. So that is something to consider. But I have a solar heating system that makes up for mine.

I take the sail down in the off season, thinking that will help it last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonpcar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.