TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just got a surprise bill about $800 a year more than in the past. Agent says it's because they are very limited in companies that will insure a home that has a pool with a diving board. I guess I'm going to have to talk to another agent to see what I can do. Anybody else come across this issue?

Re: Big Insurance increase because of our pool with diving b

We have farm burea and called them about putting in our pool, no increase at all unless we want to increase coverage amounts. (no diving board though so not sure if that would make a difference)

We had 2 different replies from Insurance companies:

Old company (can't remember name) - did not care if we had a diving board - increased cost if we had a slide

New company (discount thru wife's work -Amica I think) - did not care if we have a slide, would not cover us if we had a diving board

The diving board came out, we did not use it, and people can & do still dive in from the sides

We're with State Farm. Pool and diving board had no effect on our premiums. Specifically discussed diving board with our agent before putting pool in.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have AAA and our premiums did not increase when we added the pool. I researched about adding a diving board and that would not change anything either, but we did not install one. We did bump up to million dollar coverage and our premium increased $50. We have a 12" inch raised wall and 18" raised spa that the kids use as their launching pad. If we didn't have the raised wall I would have put in a board as the kids are constantly jumping in.

Our insurance didn't raise rates for putting in a pool... said the access to water in case of fire balanced out the risks. We didn't put in a diving board or slide, so didn't ask about that... funny how differently insurance companies handle things.

Diving boards get a bad rep. I've seen exponentially more trampoline injuries than diving board injuries. In fact, in 14 years of ER nursing, I can only recall one diving board injury and it really wasn't the diving board's fault. It was the beer's fault.

Don't get me started on motorcycles though.

USAA had no increase for a pool. I didn't ask about a diving board, but they said they don't care anything about pools. All they wanted to know is if I have a pet and if it has ever bitten anyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

crek31 said:
USAA had no increase for a pool. I didn't ask about a diving board, but they said they don't care anything about pools. All they wanted to know is if I have a pet and if it has ever bitten anyone.

No issues here niether with Erie Insurance ....suprised they didnt ask what breed of pets as well...alot of discrimination against certain breeds out there. (But thats a whole other topic)

Hey John...I would get multiple quotes. Unfortunately, I have found through personal the insurance industry does not seem to value customer loyalty. Folks in their 2nd to 3rd policy term seem to get stuck paying for new customer teaser rates.

roadking00 said:
crek31 said:

No issues here niether with Erie Insurance ....suprised they didnt ask what breed of pets as well...alot of discrimination against certain breeds out there. (But thats a whole other topic)

When I was with my ex husband, we had 2 dogs. A male German Rottweiler and a lab/pit mix. The insurance company was more concerned with my brother's mutt outside than with the house dogs. All 3 were very well behaved with people but I found it odd that they would go after the mutt outside (she had an issue with killing furniture. We built her a nice box and enclosure... she'd of rather slept on the garage floor!) :roll:

My issue was not a diving board, or slide, but the fence around the pool. Allstate told me I had 90 days to fence it in, then dropped me 10 days later. Nationwide said I had to have a fence, and my agent said the rails I had up for hanging pickets constituted a 3 rail fence...whatever.

An old thread I know, but I was going to post about how I was suprised that my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) said there would be no increase in my premium for an in-ground pool as long as it was inside a locked fence. I was suprised! Guess that isn't abnormal though.

I will have to double confirm if a diving board makes a difference based on some of the posts here though...

MassNerd said:
I will have to double confirm if a diving board makes a difference based on some of the posts here though...
Probably will. I just did the shopping/switching process. They didn't blink when I told them about the pool, but they were concerned about the fence/gate, and that there wasn't a diving board or slide.

MassNerd said:
An old thread I know, but I was going to post about how I was suprised that my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) said there would be no increase in my premium for an in-ground pool as long as it was inside a locked fence. I was suprised! Guess that isn't abnormal though.

This is good news. I have had liberty mutual for the past 16 yrs. hopefully the no cost increase is still the same when I call them today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I talked to my insurance confirmed a diving board was OK because I'm an existing customer. However they did clarify that if I was a new customer they wouldn't insure me because of the diving board. So that doesn't make me feel very good about diving boards. I'm afraid they will turn around someday and change their mind.

Hubs has been with Farmers when he was married to his starter wife, as the agent was a family friend.

Fast forward 20 years... we have our home, multiple vehicles and two life insurance policies with them. Last fall we replaced the roof and the agent came out to check (?! never has done this before), saw our toy Intex draining, advised hubs that, even though we have a fenced yard, we need a safety fence around the top of the pool, but there shouldn't be a premium increase.

We're upgrading to a permanent AGP this year and plan on buying the safety fence at the same time, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.