Big Green Egg or Similar question

If you guys haven’t noticed, Matt loves his BGE so much, he actually blow dries his hair whilst smoking meats. (See hair drier in his pic behind the egg)
His wife has filed a restraining order against the BGE citing “bromance” allegations. :laughblue:

(a) that assumes I have any hair (after 4 kids, that’s not a bet you want to take); AND

(b) the air in AZ is so stinkin’ dry that blow dryers are unnecessary.

That is my ghetto version of how I get the coals super hot! I make my mound of lump charcoal, put in my charcoal starter, light it up. Then, about 5 mins later, I hang the blow dryer and aim it toward the lower vent and set it to low. The extra forced air creates a fiery inferno inside the Egg. When I get the coin for a proper BBQ temp controller, I can ditch the hair dryer. But, between that and one of the flat top grilles that you guys keep pushing on me, Santa’s going to request I start trimming my Christmas List :santa:

First off love the setup. Hope to do my own one day. Not sure if it'll fit with your cutout but I'm looking at the primo xl ceramic grill. I'm sure the eggs are nice and well accepted in the BBQ community. I personally just like the oval design more and they're made in America

Big Green Egg vs. Primo Ceramic Grill Comparison : BBQ Guys

I've been very pleased with my Primo XL and your points are some of the exact same I had as well..... I do not regret this purchase at all and use very frequently.

I have the feet under my Primo and helps with air and keeping the air gap between the bottom and the granite tile.

The forced air option really helps if you are needing to speed things up and I've used a leaf-blower (LOL :) ) or my Luft Lighter.
View attachment 87548

Attachments

• 20181007_101535.jpg
    20181007_101535.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13
Matt--do you know the name of the tile around your outdoor kitchen? Nice setup!

Sorry, I don’t. I wish I had taken better notes as it was a hectic time in my life when it was built and that BBQ deck was built a little “fast & loose”. I could have done better.

Great thread here! Considering adding an Egg or Kamado Joe to the BBQ arsenal this coming spring. Wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a 3rd "grilling" device (have a Broil King LP gasser and Camp Chef pellet grill now) but getting harder to resist seeing all these pictures. :)

i'm set on a large egg. i have the limestone in for the proper height so i'm married to it now. the width was also setup for the egg. i think i'm making the right choice. i really can't wait to get it this spring!

- - - Updated - - -

lol it really seems like a great tool for everything grilling. . . might not do everything the best but i really think it will let me do all i want within reason. now if spring can just get here.

Matt will fill you in on all things Green Egg related, as I know he sleeps with a picture of his on his nightstand!! :mrgreen:

The stuffed mini Egg plushy toy is what I like to cuddle with at night....it even has built in red LED lights to simulate a glowing hot grille.

I love all ceramic smokers and don’t think you can really go wrong. It’s like arguing about power tools - Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch or DeWalt....it’s all good. It’s really all about the skillz of da’ man (or lady) behind the grille that counts ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.