Big chunk of fell of plaster/gunite fell off

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology but over the winter, a chunk of the gunite layer on my spillover pool fell off. You can see it laying there under the gap.

Any advice on how to repair? I was thinking of using epoxy to re-attach the broken off pieces and then grouting any remaining gaps. If that's a reasonable course of action, what sort of grout would I use?

If I call in a pro, can they just patch the damaged area? Thanks.

plaster (2).jpg

You have delamination of the plaster from the gunite shell. You are not going to glue that piece back.

You or a contractor can chip out any other loose plaster around the area, then prepare the gunite with a bonding coat, and put a plaster patch down. The color is not going to match. See...

What's the history of the plaster?

Has the pool been replastered?

It looks like the plaster did not get a good bond.

If the plaster was left dry, the heating and cooling would cause expansion and contraction, which can cause bond failure.

I suspect that the whole area is unbonded.

Tap on the plaster with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to see if it sounds hollow.

That's original plaster from 15 years ago. It's never been replasterered. Is that something you're supposed to do?

That part of the plaster that broke off was under the winter level of water. I'll give it a tap to check out the surrounding area.

I don't mind if a patch doesn't match. It's underwater and hardly visible.

Is this a frequent occurrence? Does it indicate faulty construction or is it just normal wear and tear?

After 15 years it can happen. Plaster doesn’t last forever. 15 years is when plaster often starts showing wear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.