Best way to plumb new pump and diverter valve

Jul 2, 2013
DFW Texas
Need to replace my entire pump and one diverter valve. Two questions:

1.) Since I'm also replacing the pump I don't know if there was a better way to connect the plumbing to that valve - or just copy what was done here, which is what the installer did last time, except there are no unions. I put a union on the return end of the pump a year ago, which is why it's a blue mess.

2.) Guessing the 2 on that elbow means 2"? It measures 2.5" OD. The smaller elbow on the left is labeled 1.5", but also doesn't measure 1.5" ID or OD. This is why I'm thrown off about valve sizes. It's a dumb question but do I get the Jandy 1.5" to 2" valve or the 2" to 2.5" valve?

wWwgO6v.jpg

zZkquSt.jpg

P2kb4vP.jpg

Col,

If you look at your second pic, you can easily see what the Jandy sizes mean...

If you look at the pipe on the left, it is clearly added to the "outside" of the valve body, while the pipe on the right is "inside" the valve body..

When the valve is listed as a 1.5" to 2".. it means that the inside of the valve body accepts a 1.5" pipe and the outside accepts a 2" pipe.. The also applies to the 2" and 2.5" valve body..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Get a 1.5 x 2 Jandy NeverLube valve. The valve takes 1.5" pvc pipe inside or a 2" fitting outside.

Plumb it the same way. The left side is 2" pvc pipe going into a 2" 90. The 2" 90 goes on the outside of the valve.

The right side is 1.5" pvc pipe going into a "street" 90. A street 90 accepts pvc pipe on one side but is 1.5" pipe size on the other end.

The spacing is very tight, so you don't have any room for error. Get schedule 40 pvc, not dwv.

Also, the fitting at the pump outlet is an mta, not a union.

High-Temp Union - CMP

21063-200-000
200-906
2" MIP; 2" Socket

Sorry, one more question. I've got a Pentair Superflo VS that came with two non-hi-temp unions.

6q3OF3W.jpg

Would you use those or hi-temp? Or not even use one on the suction side? The installer of our pump years ago used schedule 80 directly into the pump, no union.

Use sch 40, sch 80 on the suction side is very funny

People use Schedule 80 PVC nipples because they think that it gives them extra heat resistance, but it doesn't. For heat resistance, you want CPVC, which usually comes in schedule 80, which is probably where the confusion comes in.

The nipple looks like schedule 80 CPVC, so it’s correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.