Best tool to clean heat exchanger

Oct 14, 2013
Just fired up the heater [Hayward H400ED2] for the first time this season and boy did it make a racket! Pipes were bouncing around and it sounded like an animal was stuck inside trying to get out. Poking around on the internet, it seems like it's likely the thermocouple valve. The heater is about 20 years old, so not entirely surprising. While I'm there, I'm also going to replace the bypass valve and would like to ream out the heat exchanger [we have very hard water and periodically have to de-scale the tile].

I see the Raypak Deliming Kit, but don't feel like spending $240 on a tool I'll use once or twice. I was thinking about a wire bush and extension. Would this work? Or, is there something better that people would recommend?

You could try something similar to what this fellow does -

I wouldn’t use a mineral acid though. I would use CLR diluted in water and let it circulate for a while. CLR will be much less damaging to copper than muriatic acid.

That's an interesting idea! And, a lot cheaper in terms of parts [already have a submersible pump if I ever need to drain the pool during winter storms].

How much should dilute the CLR? I want to be gentle on the copper, but also want to make sure I get it clean.

I believe the bottle of CLR has dilution instructions on it. Maybe start with 2 parts water to 1 part CLR and see what that gets you.

Man. Why is plastic so dang expensive?! Gonna be $60+ just to get nuts/nipples to connect a hose to the manifold. Brush and extension are like half that. I never mind paying for tools. But it's hard to swallow for something I'll likely use all of one time. :cautious:

Maybe I'll just shop vac it and hope for the best ...

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.