best setup for variable speed pump and suction cleaner?

Apr 18, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a Kreepy Krauly connected to one of my skimmers and a variable speed pump. I'm trying to dial in to a good speed/schedule for my pump that filters the entire pool each day, with low energy usage, plus enough flow to operate the kreepy krauly which usually likes a good amount of suction. i have 2 skimmers, spa and main drain. how should i set this up to accomplish all of this? if not possible, what is a good approach for getting efficient circulation, plus incorporating a good cleaning session a few times per week?

The first thing I would do to maybe help you figure out how to proceed on the rest is ignoring this: "for my pump that filters the entire pool each day." We don't advocate, nor is it necessary, to achieve a full "turn over" of your pool water each day.

Reactions: rbmckenz13

I would schedule it using FedEx and your Garbage man.. :mrgreen:

The garbage man to pick up your Kreepy Krauly and the FedEx to drop off your new Robot.. :stirpot:

As Woody points out... there are zero reasons to worry about "turn-overs"..

Jim R.

Are you familiar with the Pentair Vac-Mate? Model #r211100
It allows you to share suction on skimmer and so it can skim and power your suction cleaner.
Do you have a 3-way valve to adjust suction independently for each of the skimmers?
Once it’s dialed in, running the VS pump at the highest speed to achieve a running Kreepy for a few hours, and then timing to throttle back to just skim. I used to do this and Vac-Mate was very effective. Consider a robot for your setup. Less headache with the multiple skimmers with no independent suction port will be a ?experience.

Are you familiar with the Pentair Vac-Mate? Model #r211100
It allows you to share suction on skimmer and so it can skim and power your suction cleaner.
Do you have a 3-way valve to adjust suction independently for each of the skimmers?
Once it’s dialed in, running the VS pump at the highest speed to achieve a running Kreepy for a few hours, and then timing to throttle back to just skim. I used to do this and Vac-Mate was very effective. Consider a robot for your setup. Less headache with the multiple skimmers with no independent suction port will be a ?experience.
i'll look into this. thanks for the helpful response. i'm not familiar with the vac-mate. each skimmer has it's own valve (not sure if it's 3-way....seem to be on/off or maybe those can also be "partially" open?)......i'll need to look into the robots.....the one i looked at (Dolphin) seemed to be $1500......i inherited one that was intermittent and a POC.....so i'm a bit jaded by that experience. however the kreepy clogs up every 10 mins, so it seems to be a non-starter as well.

I would get a Dolphin S200, 300 or 300i. (Same as Active 20, 30, 30i)

An S200 from Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa is $699 and free shipping and no tax.

For most people there is no need for the remote contol capability that comes with the S300 and 300i.. The S200 does not come with a caddy, but that is something that I also don't need.

I bought one as a Christmas gift for my daughter and was impressed.. I ordered one for me yesterday.. Maytronics, who builds Dolphins, has a $25 rebate in May, so I asked that my order not be processed until then.

See this thread... Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a Kreepy Krauly connected to one of my skimmers and a variable speed pump. I'm trying to dial in to a good speed/schedule for my pump that filters the entire pool each day, with low energy usage, plus enough flow to operate the kreepy krauly which usually likes a good amount of suction. i have 2 skimmers, spa and main drain. how should i set this up to accomplish all of this? if not possible, what is a good approach for getting efficient circulation, plus incorporating a good cleaning session a few times per week?

Best setup for a variable speed pump and suction cleaner I've found is the Zodiac T5.
I like the G series as well, but the round mat doesnt climb out of eth deep end as well as the squared mat T5 at low watts.

Kreepies take more wattage to keep from getting stuck in my experience.

I can run it on around 200 watts of power or the same as what I skim at.
When if I use solar Ill run it at about 1000 watts and it's simply more aggressive and faster.

YMMV on wattage - my pool has good flow and works just fine.

I'll leave it in the pool all week against the wall like the pict and plug it in once or twice for a few hours a week and my pool stays spotless.

Walk up to the skimmer yank it and put the basket in and let it go a few days just skimming, every 3rd days or so have the cleaner run a few hours. You can leave the cleaner in indefinitely this way.

With a pressure side, or robot you have to take it out frequently or the debris in the basket/ filters starts to break down and consume your free chlorine/ cloud the pool.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 21
When I got a baracuda g3 it came with a flow meter to calibrate the optimal suction. I simply adjusted the cleaner valve accordingly. My pump runs at low speed most of the time except for 3 hours when it is programmed to increase to power the Baracuda.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.