Best Salt?

I stick to pool salt. Even though it may be a couple dollars more, it seems "less dirty". Each spring, I only need a bag or so anyway. The salt itself, no matter what brand, is still salt and will be the same level of "toxicity" to your equipment which I believe is low. You don't want salt with other additives, though.

Salt is salt as long as it is 100% pure.

Stay away from Clorox Pool Salt and folks have recently had problems with Mortons Pool Salt bought at Home Depots.

I get my pool salt from a local pool store who uses it in the pools they service. It costs a big more but ensures the quality of it.

I just hit the 2 year mark with my SWG changeover and have just used the quick-dissolving salt that Pinch a Penny sells (blue bag). I'm sure I could get something cheaper, but this has worked so far and It's not like I'm adding a lot of it.

And no equipment failures in the 2 years, other than my light (which was on its way out anyway and is being replaced with something that will work with the Omni Logic.

What's wrong with Clorox Pool Salt???
I just added six 40-lb bags of that to our pool (first addition of salt *ever* now that we got our SWCG properly connected). I'll need to add more salt to get the levels up to par, so if there's something I need to know about (as in, what *not* to use), I'd sure like to know ASAP.

From Salt - Further Reading
Clorox Pool Salt has been reported by multiple members to stain pools.[7][8][9][10] Morton's Pool Salt has also been reported to have some bad batches with dirt that caused staining.
One of our industrial clients was using Morton's salt in one of their softener applications and having lots of contamination. Turns out, it had probably 10% insoluble calcium sulfate.

Cooking salt is better (maybe) when it has impurities in it. Minerals, other salts, volcanic ash, dirt, whatever. It is what gives the salt flavor. When cooking, the shape of the grains also makes a difference: popcorn salt, finishing salt, flaked salt, kosher salt, etc.

In a pool, on the other hand, you want the most boring salt possible. As close to 100% pure NaCl as possible, and ideally as fine as possible. Any additives are at best wasting money, and at worst detrimental.

The problem is, most salt is harvested from natural sources - either from a mine, or from brine evaporation. Contamination does happen. Laboratory grade NaCl is way too expensive for a pool.

Your best bet is to make sure your salt has no purposely added additives - no "free flowing" or "anti caking agents" no iodine. It is kind of like buying bleach - non scented, not splashless, etc. Keep an eye on this site or just search for contaminated pool salt. Look for reputable articles that say certain batches of certain products are causing problems, not crazy "it causes death" type stuff.

Short of that, there is not much you can do unless you somehow plan on testing your salt for purity yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: sacredcow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cooking salt is better (maybe) when it has impurities in it. Minerals, other salts, volcanic ash, dirt, whatever. It is what gives the salt flavor.
Definitely truth to this.

Had friends over for margaritas and I also happened to be adding some salt to the pool. Someone commented that I seemed to have overestimated the amount of salt needed to rim a margarita glass, so of course I dunked my glass in the bag of pool salt and proceeded to pour myself another.

I didn't do it again- Didn't taste quite right. :laughblue:

With time to shop around in the spring, I use the googs to find the better local deal on the trusted brands.

After that I take the bag that's in front of me when I'm already out shopping, so long as it's pure. $3 isn't worth going across town and waiting on another checkout line when it's only 1 bag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.