Best Pump Mode Question for New Pool

Oct 21, 2018
Tampa/FL
We are running our variable Jandy pump from 8am to 6pm daily in our pool in Tampa Florida. We enjoy looking at the spillover that occurs when the pump is set to Spa Mode vs Pool Mode. Are we doing any harm to the equipment if we run the pump always in the Spa Mode position vs the Pool Mode position for the entire 10 hour cycle?

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
You should be able to set the POOL/SPA return valve so that it is parially open to both in POOl mode to give water flow to both.

Staying in SPA mode does not use your pool skimmers and returns. You are not skimming stuff from the top of the water. And the water in your pool can have some stagnant areas where algae can take hold.

Post pics of your valves and equipment pad.

Tamp,

You are not hurting your equipment, and skimming is probably not much of a problem because of your screen-room.

That said, the main point of having a VS pump is so that you can save on your electrical bill. Running the pump at spa speed, I'm guessing, will cost you about 6 times as much as running at a low RPM.

The other issue is pH, constantly running the spillover will quickly cause your pH is increase.

Some other issues... the pump must be making a lot more noise than at low speed, and as Allen points out, the lack of flow out of the pool returns and lack of skimmer flow will cause whatever falls into your pool to not be removed. It will float on the surface or fall to the bottom. The lack of circulation could lead to an algae bloom.

In short, the system was not designed to be run only in the Spa mode..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here is a pic of the equipment pad.
We have not added any auxiliary settings as of yet.
Is there a method of adding an auxiliary setting that will allow the spillover to work while the pump is in Pool Mode? Will the pump still use the variable speeds to save energy if this occurs?1.jpg

Tamp,

Something is not right, but I am not sure what yet???

In the actual "Spa Mode" there should be zero spillover into the pool. The whole idea of the Spa mode is to suck water from the spa, through the heater and back to the spa. This way you can heat the spa and not heat the pool.

In the "Pool mode", the water is sucked from the pool and returned only to the pool.

What you call the Spa mode, appears to be a "Spillover" mode, where water is sucked from the Pool and then sent to the Spa. Since no water is being sucked from the Spa, it quickly spills over into the pool.

I am not a Jandy guy, so I am not that familiar with your system. I suspect it does have a Spillover mode...

Show us a picture of your equipment pad, when in the Spa mode and when in the Pool mode. We need to be able to see the automated Intake valve and automated Return valve in the same pic.

Is this a new pool? If so the simplest thing to do is have your pool builder come out and set up the system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.