Best pool cleaner 2020

The pool cleaner all the way. Mind you, it keeps the bottom clean of stuff by sucking things up.... it isn't a brushing scrubbing machine. That is your job.

Pool cleaner with a catch basket/net. inline so your pump doesn't fill up with stuff.

If you have a long pool, buy the four wheel version. it goes straight for longer periods of time than the two wheel version, aside from that the two are pretty similar in function.

seems easiest to cap it off, but should I be concerned with potential algae in the unused pipe?
Per the Polaris installation manual, the inlet to the booster pump is tapped from one of the return lines going to your pool. The illustration shows this tap into the return line is above ground and before the chlorinator. This is why there is always flow through the cleaner line when your main pump is running because it is getting pressure flow from the main pump through the booster pump and out the line to the cleaner. You should see some flow out of the back nozzle of the cleaner when the main pump is on and the booster pump is off. When the booster pump kicks on, it then increase the pressure flow to the cleaner to push it around the pool.

My connection tap on return line is underground as all I see is a 1 1/2" pipe protruding from the ground which is then crossed over to 3/4" to tie into the suction side of the booster pump. I did not construct the pool so I have no knowledge of its original layout. The return side of the booster pump has a dedicated line to the pool (sidewall) where the Polaris hose attaches.

Hope this helps understand the flow paths and how it may apply to your set up. Clearly every PB may have their unique way to plumb in a pressure side cleaner; however, the suction side should connect to a return line somewhere either on your equipment pad or underground. My personal preference would be to remove the booster pump, connect the suction line to the return line and just use that line as an extra pool return. It is already functioning like that now except it is flowing through the booster pump and through the cleaner. To me that would keep the lines full with chlorinated water and I have the option to add a sprayer to that return if I needed that to make the water cooler in the summer.

seems easiest to cap it off, but should I be concerned with potential algae in the unused pipe?

You have three choices:
  1. Leave your booster pump as is. Just don't ever turn it on. That lets a small flow of water through the pump and the booster line. As long as nothing is leaking it can stay that way.
  2. Remove the pump and put some schedule 40 flex PVC between the copper fitting and the PVC line and put a valve in between. Set the valve for a slow flow of water through the PVC pipe.
  3. Cap the pipes. If you always keep your water chemistry following TFP FC/CYA Levels then you should not have an algae problem in the line. If you lose control of the water chemistry for a while then you may get some algae in there like we see algae growing behind pool lights.

Per the Polaris installation manual, the inlet to the booster pump is tapped from one of the return lines going to your pool. The illustration shows this tap into the return line is above ground and before the chlorinator. This is why there is always flow through the cleaner line when your main pump is running because it is getting pressure flow from the main pump through the booster pump and out the line to the cleaner. You should see some flow out of the back nozzle of the cleaner when the main pump is on and the booster pump is off. When the booster pump kicks on, it then increase the pressure flow to the cleaner to push it around the pool.

My connection tap on return line is underground as all I see is a 1 1/2" pipe protruding from the ground which is then crossed over to 3/4" to tie into the suction side of the booster pump. I did not construct the pool so I have no knowledge of its original layout. The return side of the booster pump has a dedicated line to the pool (sidewall) where the Polaris hose attaches.

Hope this helps understand the flow paths and how it may apply to your set up. Clearly every PB may have their unique way to plumb in a pressure side cleaner; however, the suction side should connect to a return line somewhere either on your equipment pad or underground. My personal preference would be to remove the booster pump, connect the suction line to the return line and just use that line as an extra pool return. It is already functioning like that now except it is flowing through the booster pump and through the cleaner. To me that would keep the lines full with chlorinated water and I have the option to add a sprayer to that return if I needed that to make the water cooler in the summer.
Makes sense, thanks!

You have three choices:
  1. Leave your booster pump as is. Just don't ever turn it on. That lets a small flow of water through the pump and the booster line. As long as nothing is leaking it can stay that way.
  2. Remove the pump and put some schedule 40 flex PVC between the copper fitting and the PVC line and put a valve in between. Set the valve for a slow flow of water through the PVC pipe.
  3. Cap the pipes. If you always keep your water chemistry following TFP FC/CYA Levels then you should not have an algae problem in the line. If you lose control of the water chemistry for a while then you may get some algae in there like we see algae growing behind pool lights.
Sounds good! Since I plan to convert the copper return section to pvc, I think I will go with #2 and plumb a pvc valve in between. So then I’d have a valve for this dedicated return port.
Any suggestion on a good water feature to use on this pool side port, some kind of fountain spray as someone mentioned?

On what to do with the booster pump, leave it alone.

Just pull the Polaris 280 out of the pool and leave well enough alone. I have another function for my pressure side pump. I use it for mixing. When I want to add chemicals like H-Cl, I turn on the cleaner pump and pour it into the stream. And then leave it on for 15 minutes. The only thing I think I should do is remove the restrictor orifice.

did it arrive? I'm thinking of ordering the SI as well, $50 more is worth it for my kids to have fun driving it around.
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with Holidays and work. It did arrive. It is so far superior to the Polaris in cleaning and ease of use. Well worth the money. The app works pretty ok driving it around and it will definitely entertain your kids. I found it didn't turn in one direction very well, I just can't remember if it was right or left. I had a long line of leaves on the bottom of the pool after I took my solar cover off, so I used it then to attack the bulk of debris. I will say that it likely would have done a great job cleaning the whole pool just left alone. The other day I had a scattering of leaves all over the bottom of the pool, which was a great test to see how well it covered the whole area, or whether it would miss spots. I ran it, and when I returned, the bottom of the pool was immaculate, not one leaf anywhere. So I am not sure the Bluetooth/remote control is necessary, but its worth it if you are anal about specific spots where dirt or debris seem to always collect. I think also if you have such spots, its worthwhile to be able to hit just those spots before you have guests come over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So S200 + wifi plug with schedule seems like the way to go. Here is my biggest hesitation with replacing my Polaris 380 with S200: cord tangling/twisting. I had the original Active 20 with non-swivel cord, and had to unplug to untwist the cord every 3 days, which was annoying to say the least. How much better is the new S200 with swivel cord? I’ve read a lot of complaints about this.
My Polaris hose always twisted up and restricted its range. This one the cord untwists itself. Its great.

Reactions: caycarem
My Polaris hose always twisted up and restricted its range. This one the cord untwists itself. Its great.
My cord will get a little twisted but the robot is strong enough to pull it anyway. I leave mine in the pool all summer but did take the swivel apart once and clean and add a tiny amount of pool lube on the cable where it twist and it seemed to have helped :)

Reactions: caycarem
My Polaris hose had a connector that would prevent twisting up the hose. I thought that was standard.
It does but its rather sticky and doesn't work too well. I replaced the entire hose and connections and it still didn't work so well. I think part of the problem was mine went in circles maybe more than it should have, and also got stuck underneath the return port it was connected to, but I always had frustrations with my Polaris working properly. The robot has been awesome.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.