East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool AquaRite generally reads a lower salt than my electronic meter (about 200 off). Similarly my spa Jandy salt system is the reverse, reading lower salt than the meter (by 100-200 depending on water temperature). My meter is calibrated with a reference solution so I tend to trust it.

The AquaRite runs best at 3600, which is the ceiling level it should get. But 3600 on the AquaRite is a true 3800 on my meter. Should I let pool run at 3800 or limit to 3600 on my meter, 3400 on display?

I'm new to SWCG, but I'm starting to think the salt concentration thing is pulled from random number tables or magic. Interesting that your Aquarite and my Pentair both specifiy 3600ppm as the best concentration, yet you say Aquarite puts 3600 at the top of the acceptable range, while Pentair (IC40) specifies a range of 3600-4500 but its preferred level is the bottom of their OK range. Neither of these make sense to me. However, for another opinion, you can't go wrong with the Taylor K-1766.

Reactions: HermanTX
I'm new to SWCG, but I'm starting to think the salt concentration thing is pulled from random number tables or magic. Interesting that your Aquarite and my Pentair both specifiy 3600ppm as the best concentration, yet you say Aquarite puts 3600 at the top of the acceptable range, while Pentair (IC40) specifies a range of 3600-4500 but its preferred level is the bottom of their OK range. Neither of these make sense to me. However, for another opinion, you can't go wrong with the Taylor K-1766.

You should follow the SWG manufactures guidance and not compare or get confused with what other manufacturers say. Different SWGs use different ways of controlling their cell and measuring the salinity.

The Aquarite control boards are very sensitive to overheating due to higher salinity drawing higher amps. The overheating burns out components and solder joints on the board. For best longevity fo your control board you should run the Aquarite at 2800-3000 ppm. When you run it higher it draws more amps and heat on the board.

This is specific to the Aquarite and the Pentair ICXX uses very different electronics.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thanks for the link. So my instant salinity reading is 3400 and actual is 3600. That suggests 94% efficiency. My cell is a T-15 940 with a 4 year warranty. It’s approximately 14 months old. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the link. So my instant salinity reading is 3400 and actual is 3600. That suggests 94% efficiency. My cell is a T-15 940 with a 4 year warranty. It’s approximately 14 months old. Should I be concerned?

No.

Small changes in salt level aren't that important. In my case I'd adjust salt to be in high end of the range because it only took a couple of our Florida gully washer rains to change the level by hundreds of ppm. My standard operating procedure was to add salt to about 3800 ppm then check after 3 gully-washers. This would usually drop it to about 3500 ppm after one or two more I'd be at the lower limit of 3000 ppm and then add salt again. I was on my 3rd year for that cell when we left and still at the same settings so I doubt that a couple hundred ppm would be a big concern. I also highly recommend the k-1766 salt test. It's the most accurate way to measure salt and way more reliable than salt display on your swg.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.