Best Heater 355 BTU Mine just broke.

I'm curious why RayPak over Pentair or Hayward?

To some extent heaters are a commodity and it is a Ford vs. Chevy comparison.

Pentair MasterTemp and Starite heaters used a induced draft blower that introduces complexity and increased costs to repair.

Hayward H-Series heaters are natural draft without a blower. Parts service is usually through pool store channels and you can pay pool store markups.

Rapak is a Rheem company and most HVAC companies know their way around the units and can get parts. You are not locked into installation and service through pool store channels. Raypak has a good warranty for heaters purchased separately and installed by a professional contractor, not necessary a pool company.

Last edited:
To some extent heaters are a commodity and it is a Ford vs. Chevy comparison.

Pentair MasterTemp and Starite heaters used a induced draft blower that introduces complexity and increased costs to repair.

Hayward H-Series heaters are natural draft without a blower. Parts service is ususalluy through pool store channels and youc an pay pool store markups.

Rapak is a Rheem company and most HVAC companies know their way around the units and can get parts. You are not locked into installation and service through pool store channels. Raypak has a good warranty for heaters purchased separately and installed by a professional contractor, not necessary a pool company.

It blows me away that the MasterTemp 400 I bought a decade ago is still the same unit with little enhancement after a decade. The unit I bought in January of 2010 has worked flawlessly until just now. I've never had a service or maintenance issue in the past decade. And the first part that needed replacing was $25 on Amazon.

Is there any difference in technology with RayPak heaters?

Is there any difference in technology with RayPak heaters?

Raypak heaters have a traditional burner tube geometry like a BBQ or hot water heater. Gas is injected into a manifold of burner tubes with the heat driving the flow of exhaust out the stack.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.