Best cleaner for walls after algae

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Long story short, draining water from last year because it turned green so just going to start fresh. What's the best thing to use on the walls to kill any remaining algae?

Been reading posts that said scrub with straight bleach, bleach water mix, and other stuff, so really confused now.

It's going to puddle up on the floor so I wouldn't mix up a bleach concoction so a 50/50 mix (etc) sits on the floor. Brush and hose it and sweep/pump out as much of it as you can.

If there's any residual on the walls at that point, the regular chlorine will get it easily.

Reactions: rj2222
I've been waiting for it to get a bit lower but then was going to start brushing it to the drain port so hopefully more of it starts to go out with the rest of the water.

But just checking, you said you wouldn't do a bleach mix, just like scrub the walls with some liquid chlorine? Or did you mean wait and as it's refilling and let that chlorine kill it?

But just checking, you said you wouldn't do a bleach mix, just like scrub the walls with some liquid chlorine?
Scrub the walls while using only the hose. No chlorine. It's not worth the bleaching risk IMO. You can rinse it off the walls quickly and you'll be standing in a very harsh puddle. Pool water FC is in parts per million, not parts per 10 or 50/50.

The regularly chlorinated pool will easily handle anything remaining after a quick brush/scrub while it's empty.

If you have visible algae on the liner you can raise the pool to slam level and brush the sides with a brush for vinyl pools. If there is no visible algae on the sides normal chlorine levels will kill any microscopic algae that is in the pool.

Reactions: newdude and rj2222
Ok gotcha. Was worried if I cleaned it wrong I'd just be having whatever cleaning solution burning a hole in the wall 😂
Yeah. I've seen too many white intex pools that shouldn't be.

If the walls are stained, you aren't cleaning it off without losing regular color. So scrub any actual film off the walls while it's empty and let the pool water do the rest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guessing that's probably good to hose down then bleach water mix disinfect, right?
Covers are harder to damage with bleach, but I stopped cleaning mine years ago. Let it fully dry and any algae like stuffs will die in the sun.

Covers are harder to damage with bleach, but I stopped cleaning mine years ago. Let it fully dry and any algae like stuffs will die in the sun.
How long do you need to let it sit out in the sun for roughly? I pulled mine off and it's all stretched out and finally dry from the pool water, but you can see there's green junk on parts of it. Assuming the bottom is the same.
It's one of those solid winter covers with the little holes every few feet on them, that type.