Best cement for brownstone coping

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
My pool is 6 years old. It has 58 pieces of 18-24" brownstone coping. Only a couple years after install, the grout started showing separation from the stone between joints... and a few year ago pieces started falling out. The last couple years I have seen a number of coping pieces coming loose also... always the cement coping bond... ie. the cement is still on the beam and clean break from coping face. I am not sure what my pool builder used, but I am sure it was the cheapest stuff he could find. About 25% of grout joints have fallen out... about 20 out of 58 pieces of brownstone are loose.

I spent the extra money for UltraColor Plus grout... now looking for best product to set the stones again. I search for some threads on here about best stuff to use for this... but did not see any definitive answers, unless I missed them. I will have to remove the loose stones, clean the old cement off the beam, try not to crack any tile and redo. I am guessing that a latex modified thin set is probably much better than just a masonry mortar. I like Laticrete products for indoor stone I have done. Does anyone know what the best product is for this that will keep it's bond with the brownstone for more than just a few years?

Thansk!

Use type S mortar to lay the stones and for the gaps in between the stones. Grout is too soft to holdup between coping stones.

Please enter your location in your profile so that it appears
<--- here

Post pics of your brownstone coping you are repairing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.