Best auto dispenser for chlorine for hot tub

Testinglife

Aug 24, 2022
Canada
Hello,

I hate manually adding chlorine to my hot tub. I live in Canada and it's -40 where I am, so only time I want to go outside is when I am actually going into my hot tub, but I don't want to have to go out every few days just to add chlorine. I have been using a float with tabs, but if I don't go out for a week or so then my chlorine is super high and I get rust on my waterfall and stuff. I also use tri-chlor so it reduces my ph and if I don't check that often enough then my water goes bad and it always seems to be when I am ready to go out and use it.

In 2022 are there no auto chlorine dispensers that can check the chlorine levels and add it automatically as needed? Are there no reliable floats that can just do it? The only thing I have seen so far is the @ease float, but that's something I need to buy cartridge's for and replace every 3-4 weeks and then replace the entire float every 4 months, which seems excessive for me.

What do you all recommend?

sorry for not reading around, because I am sure this has been asked. I am tired and just want the easy answer haha

Thanks

Hello,

I hate manually adding chlorine to my hot tub. I live in Canada and it's -40 where I am, so only time I want to go outside is when I am actually going into my hot tub, but I don't want to have to go out every few days just to add chlorine. I have been using a float with tabs, but if I don't go out for a week or so then my chlorine is super high and I get rust on my waterfall and stuff. I also use tri-chlor so it reduces my ph and if I don't check that often enough then my water goes bad and it always seems to be when I am ready to go out and use it.

In 2022 are there no auto chlorine dispensers that can check the chlorine levels and add it automatically as needed? Are there no reliable floats that can just do it? The only thing I have seen so far is the @ease float, but that's something I need to buy cartridge's for and replace every 3-4 weeks and then replace the entire float every 4 months, which seems excessive for me.

What do you all recommend?

sorry for not reading around, because I am sure this has been asked. I am tired and just want the easy answer haha

Thanks
Have you considered a small salt water chlorine generator?

Reactions: Mdragger88
+1 for swg like the saltron mini or one of the controlOmatic units. ControlOmatic has a couple that are automatically controlled. The saltron mini & the basic ControlOmatic are timer based.
Trichlor is not recommended for hot tubs because it erodes too quickly in the hot water & easily creates a high fc & acidic condition which causes damage to surfaces & equipment.
Trichlor also contains cya & causes it to rise very quickly making it very hard to follow the FC/CYA Levels leading to unsanitary conditions.
Cya above 50ppm makes a hot tub hard to maintain.
20-40ppm is recommended

I'd REALLY suggest you read the sticky pinned to the top of this forum.

If you're handy with electrical or electronics, a Google search on parastaltic pumps might suggest a way to dose the tub (it's still better to open the cover so it can outgas).

This said, hot tub maintenance is generally a hands-on affair. Forty below, even the wind must be frozen!

+1 for swg like the saltron mini or one of the controlOmatic units. ControlOmatic has a couple that are automatically controlled. The saltron mini & the basic ControlOmatic are timer based.
Trichlor is not recommended for hot tubs because it erodes too quickly in the hot water & easily creates a high fc & acidic condition which causes damage to surfaces & equipment.
Trichlor also contains cya & causes it to rise very quickly making it very hard to follow the FC/CYA Levels leading to unsanitary conditions.
Cya above 50ppm makes a hot tub hard to maintain.
20-40ppm is recommended
Thanks for the recommendations I am going to look at both of these. All my pumps and such are located in the unit itself. Are these things that can be added in a situation like that? Wonder if I can Hire a spa company to install it for me.

I'd REALLY suggest you read the sticky pinned to the top of this forum.

If you're handy with electrical or electronics, a Google search on parastaltic pumps might suggest a way to dose the tub (it's still better to open the cover so it can outgas).

This said, hot tub maintenance is generally a hands-on affair. Forty below, even the wind must be frozen!
Haha ya it's cold. I'll take a look at the thread and google thr parastaltic pump, thanks

Reactions: Methuselah
Thanks for the recommendations I am going to look at both of these. All my pumps and such are located in the unit itself. Are these things that can be added in a situation like that? Wonder if I can Hire a spa company to install it for me.
They all drape over & operate independently of the spa but the cell can be hidden in the filter compartment of some tubs.
Here’s mine
689D5D15-D755-4111-8AD5-5F92B2C1367D.jpeg
I have a floating weir so mine can’t fit in the filter area
D39AD1CB-075C-47B4-86D9-CB9B07BB99FA.jpeg

Yes, there is chemical automation made by several manufacturers, for both ph and orp (chlorine). They are not cheap and require frequent probe replacement. They are used mainly on pools, and would likely not fit under the spa cabinet, but could be plumbed in and wired to work in a spa.
In such low temps there may be a problem with the chemical tanks/hoses freezing. Perhaps @JoyfulNoise can enlighten us on freezing temps of liquid chlorine and muriatic acid? I suspect some sort of heated enclosure would be needed.

Reactions: bradgray
Another vote for SWCG. I have one of the Chloromatic units and I love it. The water also stays clearer than when I used to use Bromine in a dispenser.

But you should still test the Chlorine levels every once in a while. Once you get the correct level set then you should be fine testing about once per week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a swg & still test every time I use the tub. I depend on mine for standby chlorination, not to make up for heavy bather loads. If i set it that high & happened to use it less my fc would end up very high. I usually can get away with a 1 person soak without having to add liquid chlorine at my current setting. Ymmv depending upon which unit you have & the size of the tub. I have quite a small tub.

I have a smaller Jacuzzi tub which is 7 feet - a J345 model from something like 2006. I don't really get high bather loads - typically two of us on Saturdays and Sundays and one bather occasionally on evenings during the week.

@wayner which ControlOmatic unit do you have? There’s not a lot of folks on here with them so I’m trying to gather people’s experiences as to how long the cells & control units seem to last etc.

I have the SmarterSpa. They also have a newer model that has smartphone control. I have had some issues with the cell so it may need to be replaced soon.

But other than that it is awesome. The water is nicer and it makes the tub more maintenance free and you don't smell as much after using the tub.

I have had a SWCG in my pool since the pool was put in about 15 years ago and love it there as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.