Best above ground robotic vacuum

I've had a Hornet pool cleaner (which is a copy of the Aquabot Rover Jr) for several years now. (used a gift card for it)
1624555668653.png
While I like that it works separately from my pool's filtration system & I've never had a problem with it, I find that I RARELY use it.
The primary reasons are:
1. It occasionally gets hung-up under my stairs (I have the Royal Entrance pool steps). Although, there is a 'fence' to prevent kids from being trapped underneath, there is just enough room for the pool robot to get under there and partially wedge itself or at least take a long time to work itself free. If you have a ladder or steps that won't allow anything underneath you should be good.
2. It seems to be geared toward 'bigger' debris (leaves, large bugs-bee/wasp, etc) which it does well with. Since I run my pool pump almost constantly, I mostly tend to get pollen, silt, small insects (ant, gnats) settled on the bottom; which the robot just seems to 're-suspend' in the pool water temporarily. (The jets stirs it up & the bag doesn't do a good job of catching)

If you're looking to have the robot rid your pool of leaves, dead bugs, etc... a robot like the Hornet or Rover Jr would be fine and you don't have to worry about adding more debris to your pool's filtration system.
If however, you're like me and find the majority of your settled debris to be pollen or fine dirt (things easily re-suspended in the water) ... I'd opt for a suction-side cleaner like the Kreepy Krauly or similar pool cleaner.

I realize it's probably not the answer you're looking for but, hopefully it helps in your decision making.
Respectfully,

I have a Rover Junior (named Junior) and he picks up everything. My only issue is that he is heavy when water logged!

Reactions: dwall
We have the Dolphin S50 and the optional fine filter basket (we only use that when we're getting a lot of dust/pollen). It's not supposed to climb the walls, but every once in a while it makes it up to the waterline.

Reactions: dwall
I "cheaped" out and bought this Qomotop. First run last night, ran 92 minutes and was still going when I pulled it out of the pool...seemed to do a decent job as far as I could tell, but I was pretty anal about hand vacc'ing prior to getting this one. We'll see how it goes but so far pleased. Grandkids will be naming it soon.... :p

IMG_7286.jpg

I've had a Hornet pool cleaner (which is a copy of the Aquabot Rover Jr) for several years now. (used a gift card for it)
View attachment 349050
While I like that it works separately from my pool's filtration system & I've never had a problem with it, I find that I RARELY use it.
The primary reasons are:
1. It occasionally gets hung-up under my stairs (I have the Royal Entrance pool steps). Although, there is a 'fence' to prevent kids from being trapped underneath, there is just enough room for the pool robot to get under there and partially wedge itself or at least take a long time to work itself free. If you have a ladder or steps that won't allow anything underneath you should be good.
2. It seems to be geared toward 'bigger' debris (leaves, large bugs-bee/wasp, etc) which it does well with. Since I run my pool pump almost constantly, I mostly tend to get pollen, silt, small insects (ant, gnats) settled on the bottom; which the robot just seems to 're-suspend' in the pool water temporarily. (The jets stirs it up & the bag doesn't do a good job of catching)

If you're looking to have the robot rid your pool of leaves, dead bugs, etc... a robot like the Hornet or Rover Jr would be fine and you don't have to worry about adding more debris to your pool's filtration system.
If however, you're like me and find the majority of your settled debris to be pollen or fine dirt (things easily re-suspended in the water) ... I'd opt for a suction-side cleaner like the Kreepy Krauly or similar pool cleaner.

I realize it's probably not the answer you're looking for but, hopefully it helps in your decision making.
Respectfully,
That helps, thanks!

I have a Dolphin E10 (entry model) with the optional basket… The only complaint I have is the length of the power cords, but I can see the reason behind it. It manages to unstuck itself from the pool stairs.

I have the dolphin nautilus cc - his name is Robert - he runs on a schedule 2x’s a day & does walls & floor. I got him for his automation mode ability & longer cord vs the e-10 types.
Many here are happy with their
e-10/s50 for the pool size u have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried the Dolphin E10 and it would miss large patches of dirt. I returned it and I now have an Aqua Sol and it is even less effective. It can run for 3-4 cycles and still miss large patches of dirt. Very frustrating. I live where there's a lot of wind and dirt flying in daily.

View attachment 349050
The primary reasons are:

Respectfully,
Hmm. From reading this it sounds like your Aquabot Rover Jr knockoff is not as good as an actual Aquabot. I’m not sure about pollen but my Rover Jr certainly picks up silt, sand, tiny bugs, etc, and doesn’t mix them up into the water. The only thing it can’t do is clean the rounded edges of my Intex pool (or the walls).

Hmm. From reading this it sounds like your Aquabot Rover Jr knockoff is not as good as an actual Aquabot. I’m not sure about pollen but my Rover Jr certainly picks up silt, sand, tiny bugs, etc, and doesn’t mix them up into the water. The only thing it can’t do is clean the rounded edges of my Intex pool (or the walls).
Possibly. They are all limited by the mesh of the bag and for what I typically have reach the bottom of the pool, it's not ideal.
To be honest, it's actually quicker/easier for me to hook-up the vacuum to the port, than it is to pull out the robot and hook-up the controller. I may try it again after Independence Day, as my pool tends to catch fireworks remnants from the neighbors.
Respectfully,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.