Benefits of Upsizing Plumbing &/or Equipment

haonkered

Jul 22, 2019
Houston, TX
Hi. New here. Sorry if these topics has already been beat to death throughout the forum.

In process of competitively bidding out pools. 18x36, 584 SF, (15k-20k gallons depending on which PB you ask).

(a) Now to the question. Had on PB tell me about how he "upgrades" all the plumbing and how much more efficient it is etc etc etc. Not a plumber so not familiar with all the hydraulics here. So simple question.... Is (2.5" Pool Suction, 3" Spa Suction, and 2" Returns) 'better' than (2" pool suction, 2.5" spa suction, 1.5" return lines). This particular pool builder is $$$$$$ way more so he is out, but should I consider asking my other PBs to upgrade these plumbing lines?
(b) One PB quotes CCP 520 cartridge, the other 420 cartridge. Any real pros or cons here? Dont mind spending the few extra hundred for larger filter if beneficial.

Welcome to TFP.

(a) You will never see the difference in the operation of the pool. PVC is cheap. Ask the other PBs to give you larger lines to get the work.

(b) Get the larger cartridge filter and you will need to clean it less often.

Spend money on (b) and skip (a).

Reactions: Blancmik
H,

The biggest money saver for a pool is to get a Variable Speed pump... I run mine 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM.. I have all 2" plumbing and my cost to run the pool is less than $20 bucks a month. Bigger pipes "might" make this slightly more efficient.. but you are talking about pennies...

I agree on the filter. I could go for a year between cleanings if I wanted. The bigger the filter the less often you have to clean it and the slower you can run you VS pump.

I see you are Houston, so I assume your pool builder will try and talk you out of a saltwater pool and into UV and Ozone... If so, you might want to read our Pool School first. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: haonkered
I would agree with @Jimrahbe with the variable speed pump, I don't have one, but my next will be variable. I'd say I spend about $100 a month on the filter pump pushing 90GPM out of the 1HP pump I have now. Running at 30GPM would cost a fraction of that.

I don't seen needing over 2" lines for the pool, the spa maybe. I have a water slide with a 2hp pump and it can't pull enough water through the single 2" return line from the pool.

As for the filter, I have a 460 and only clean it once a year, the pressure barely raises over the year either, never gets to the dirty mark. I have a wall of trees behind the pool and horrid pollen in the spring. 420 may be plenty big, depending on your conditions.

Can you elaborate more? Are you suggesting I consider SWG.

Yes he is.

Can you elaborate more? Are you suggesting I consider SWG.

I believe that a saltwater pool is the only kind of pool to have... :)

But I was really suggesting that you "think" about how you are going to chlorinate your new pool.. Too many people will spends weeks trying to decide on what color plaster and tile they want, but not even a few seconds about how they plan to sanitize their new pool. When in reality, how you sanitize your pool water is probably the most important decision of the whole pool building process..

My point was you should read our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blancmik
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.