Becoming a pool boy

checking back in as we're reaching swimmable temps now thanks to the solar heater.
FC - 2
pH - 8
TA - 125
CYA - 45
Salt - 4500 PPM
CH - 650

Since last year I repaired my SWG and (as indicated above) am maintaining the recommended 4500ppm Salt. My CH level is not quite as high as last year but rather high. I am assuming I should take care of that before regulating the rest of the levels.

Poolmath recommends a 33% drain. I'm assuming thats my first order of business, then adding CYA and Salt to the refilled pool and going from there.

With a CH of 650 time for a full drain and refill. If you only do a 33% drain and refill, your CH will still be in the upper 400's and by the end of summer it will be well over 800 ppm and you will have scale. Unless you have determined how to use softened water for make up water.

Another option is to drain 1/2 to 2/3rds and then use softened water to refill. But your softener will likely struggle to keep up.

is replumbing my fill valve to use softened water the only way i'll get around doing a full drain every year?
Pretty much. You can probably get two full years between draining if you use a solar cover in the spring and fall to reduce evaporation. For instance, I was losing about 35 gallons per day to evaporation over the last few weeks. I put our solar cover on a few days ago and am now losing 5 gallons per day. Big difference, especially in April/May and Sept/Oct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.