Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi All,

Is there a relationship between a pump's flow rate and an SWG production rate? I feel like this is a very straight-forward mechanical question, but I can not find a definitive answer. Without knowing the science behind electrolysis, it seems to me that chlorine production (oz/hr) would be influenced by how much water is passing through the salt cell. But, when calculating FC, the pool math app does not request flow rate nor RPM, implying that a SWG will produce the same amount of chlorine at x% run time at 1,700 RPM pump speed as it would at 2,700 RPM pump speed.

To phrase it mathematically, regarding SWG output, does 24hr*1,700rpm*100%=24hr*2,700rpm*100% or, is 24hr*1,700rpm*100%<24hr*2,700rpm*100%?

I am not implying that these speeds, quantities are subjectively correct in terms of my specific configuration, I am simply seeking an objective answer to how SWGs produce chlorine.

Dom

Welcome to the forum!

There is not.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks for the insight. I combed through many threads looking for an answer to this question, without any luck. I wish there was a video that contained the science behind SWGs with a profile view of the electrolysis as it occurs. Just the inner-nerd in me I guess.

TFP TV has a video we made on SWCG, but not to that detail. We could, but viewership would be in the single digits!! Way to wonky.

If you want a synopsis, PM @JamesW. He can give a review on it.

Without knowing the science behind electrolysis, it seems to me that chlorine production (oz/hr) would be influenced by how much water is passing through the salt cell.
The main factors are salinity, water temperature, voltage and plate surface area.

The flow is high enough that it has very little effect on the process once it is above the minimum flow rate required to activate the flow switch.

The salinity is in the 3,000 ppm range and the chlorine produced is in the 4 ppm range, so the loss of chloride ion in solution is negligible.

The main factors are salinity, water temperature, voltage and plate surface area.

The flow is high enough that it has very little effect on the process once it is above the minimum flow rate required to activate the flow switch.

The salinity is in the 3,000 ppm range and the chlorine produced is in the 4 ppm range, so the loss of chloride ion in solution is negligible.
It might be because I am avoiding my strategic advertising homework like the plague, or because the video is well done, but that was super informative, chemically. Thanks for sharing. It makes sense that once you reach the minimum flow rate, any additional GPM/RPM unit has negligible returns. And thanks to @mknauss, @Jimrahbe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.