Bare minimum

Jun 1, 2017
IL
We had to deal with the unexpected death of my father at the end of July. I basically have not maintained my pool since July 23rd. I tried to slam it around the first week in August but after the 8th I’ve basically given up on it. I work 12 hours shifts as a nurse and with grieving I really don’t want to spend anymore energy or money on maintaining the pool this summer. It has cooled this week and I have 4 days off in a row. I know it will take two days to drain it . What are the consequences of not balancing it before covering it. I don’t mind to give it more energy and money next spring. I just don’t want to do anything that willl cause permanent damage . Suggestions?

Last edited:
Blair, I’m so sorry for your loss.

If I needed to close my pool now, I’d raise my FC to SLAM level, get all leaves and stuff out, let it circulate for at least a day, drain, and cover. I might raise FC again to SLAM level before covering (using my brush to stir things up).

Take care of yourself. Cleaning the pool can wait until spring.

Reactions: PointeTaken
*also sending well wishes your way*

If you’ve had enough of this year, Pre-treat as much as you’re willing to and just open early next year. It will be much easier to kill off the old growth than to also fight the exponentially growing new stuff once it gets over 60 degrees.

I unknowingly helped myself a lot by doing the early/late thing. I left it open until the last minute and opened it at the first minute because we look directly at the pool and didn’t want to look at the ‘$60k trampoline’ one second more than we had to. Now I’m doing it ‘for science’ AND looks.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I totally get the afterward. No fun.

I have no good words. I keep erasing.

TFP will be here to help you when you open next year. Even if it's a complete mess. It's totally ok to let some things go for now. ?

We had to deal with the unexpected death of my father at the end of July. I basically have not maintained my pool since July 23rd. I tried to slam it around the first week in August but after the 8th I’ve basically given up on it. I work 12 hours shifts as a nurse and with grieving I really don’t want to spend anymore energy or money on maintaining the pool this summer. It has cooled this week and I have 4 days off in a row. I know it will take two days to drain it . What are the consequences of not balancing it before covering it. I don’t mind to give it more energy and money next spring. I just don’t want to do anything that willl cause permanent damage . Suggestions?
So sorry for your lost God bless you n your father.

I unexpectedly lost my dad on July 9th (my Wedding Anniversary) 4 days after his 68th birthday so I feel your pain. Just cover it and we'll get you through next year.

Puor a bottle of Polyquat 60 into the water right before you close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type of pool are you speaking of draining??
For some pools it is far better to let them remain full and deal with the green in the spring rather than drain. Is this an above ground pool or inground, and if inground what is the water table like where you live? You don't want to risk the pool floating because its been emptied.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.