Ballpark on how much liquid chlorine to buy for ~26,000 gallon pool to last a month?

EarpWJ

May 23, 2019
Northern CA
I tried the TFP pool method on my last pool and did it for two months, managed to keep it nice and clean. But I found a pool guy that did a good job and was cheap enough to just switch for less of my time spent.

I got a new house now with a pool, and want to try TFP method again. The new pool is 26,200 gallons according to Pentair's estimate. 35 ft long and about 550sqft measured from google earth. I assume the deep end is 7-8ft, irregular blob shape.

Any idea how much liquid chlorine to expect to last a month? I want to buy at least a months worth, so I can focus on moving in.

I tried the TFP pool method on my last pool and did it for two months, managed to keep it nice and clean. But I found a pool guy that did a good job and was cheap enough to just switch for less of my time spent.

I got a new house now with a pool, and want to try TFP method again. The new pool is 26,200 gallons according to Pentair's estimate. 35 ft long and about 550sqft measured from google earth. I assume the deep end is 7-8ft, irregular blob shape.

Any idea how much liquid chlorine to expect to last a month? I want to buy at least a months worth, so I can focus on moving in.
It may need about 1 gallon of 10% per day. But that all depends on how clean it it right now.

Reactions: Newdude
The cheapest liquid chlorine for me is Leslies that is $8.50 a gallon, so $258 per month, $3103 per year. Pool guy here is cheaper than that, and provides chems.

I mean I want to do the TFP method, but when the pool dude is cheap, it just doesn't make sense.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better source for liquid chlorine? I checked Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes, and a few local shops, best I could get was the $8.50/gallon.

Pool looks great right now, I got a pool dude to clean it while waiting on escrow and my moving in.

The cheapest liquid chlorine for me is Leslies that is $8.50 a gallon, so $258 per month, $3103 per year. Pool guy here is cheaper than that, and provides chems.

I mean I want to do the TFP method, but when the pool dude is cheap, it just doesn't make sense.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better source for liquid chlorine? I checked Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes, and a few local shops, best I could get was the $8.50/gallon.

Pool looks great right now, I got a pool dude to clean it while waiting on escrow and my moving in.
1 gallon is the average usage this month, it’ll go down as it gets colder. You’de have to track your usage over a year to get a real average.

It’s your pool. The pool guy isn’t going to add enough chlorine unless he comes every day or two. Many people are using salt chlorinators now to avoid all the hassle.

Salt Water Chlorine Generator
Get one that is at least 2x your pool volume.
If you don't have automation, look at the Circupool RJ60+. They usually have an upgrade 'special' to go from an RJ45+ to an RJ60+ for $10 or so more.

Works great with the TFP method.
No jug lugging.
No need to have someone add chlorine when you're away on vacation.
Will pay for itself quickly over the price of liquid chlorine.

Salt Water Chlorine Generator
Get one that is at least 2x your pool volume.
If you don't have automation, look at the Circupool RJ60+. They usually have an upgrade 'special' to go from an RJ45+ to an RJ60+ for $10 or so more.

Works great with the TFP method.
No jug lugging.
No need to have someone add chlorine when you're away on vacation.
Will pay for itself quickly over the price of liquid chlorine.
The pool inspector I had check it out said I can't do SWG, because my pool has copper pipes and it will corrode them much fast. Is there any truth to this? Replacing the piping sounds $$$ digging up everything and repairing the concrete pad.

I am just trying to follow the math and it doesn't add up - prima facie is sounds like your pool guy is paying you to do your pool.

WM will ship you 10% NaClO in a Gallon jug for $6 or two of them for $11 - any idea what concentration the Leslies that is $8.50 a gallon is at?

If you don't enjoy the process of pool maintenance and you have a pool guy who's reliable and you don't mind paying, there's no harm in that :)

The reason why I do pool maintenance myself is because I want all the blame games to stop at and with me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Can you get bulk chlorine where you are? Most of my local pools stores sell it up here in Ontario, Canada in either 2.5 or 5 gallon refillable containers. It comes out to about $5.20 CAD ($3.85 USD) per gallon.

Not sure - but let's see what others have to say.....
Low pH is the most harmful to copper. For piping, you do need to be sure you keep from dissimilar metals and is one place a properly placed anode may be applicable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.