Ball Valve replacement

Oct 6, 2015
Dallas
Hi, how hard would it be to replace these ball valves?
The handles broke off on two of them, and there is cracking in the white plastic around where the handle attaches.
The pool is below ground.

I'm generally handy, but not familiar with pool plumbing or working with PVC.
The guy who takes care of chemicals and cleaning for the pool quoted $700, which I want to avoid if possible.

Thank you.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 65
The price you were quoted is way too high. I just had my ball valves replaced with diverter valves. The cost was $125 labor, $37 per valve for the part, plus taxes. I can't give you a final cost because they have not mailed the bill yet. It's around $250 total.

Here is before and after photos.

IMG_1483.JPGnew valves.jpeg

Last edited:
P,

The pics does not show enough of the connecting pipes...

$700 seems way too high to me..

But... Whoever does it will have to dig into the ground to expose some unused pipe.. Depending on where the upper ends of your ball valves go, there most likely will be additional items that will have to be cut or moved so they can make the connection.

I too would never install more balls valve for just the reason that you need to replace yours. I would use Jandy never lube style valve..

I suggest that you get several more quotes.. $300 bucks seems like a good price to me, if you are not a DIY kind of guy..

Thanks

Jim R.

I'm glad to hear that price sounds high, there is a couple high rated (by Google) that service pools in my area, I'll ask them to quote.
If the price is way off, it may be time for a new pool manager as well...

I was hoping that it was a DIY project, but I'm not interested in digging into the cement, I don't want to cause more damage than necessary.

Thank you again, I will also ask about switching them to Jandy valves.

Attachments

• v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 36
P,

If this were my pool, I would remove all the pipes from the front of the pump to the bottom of each broken ball valve. Then I would re-plumb the whole thing, using Jandy valves.

That might sound like more work, but in the long run it would be easier than trying to patch in new valves.

I can't tell if the three pipes coming out of the ground come through concrete or not.. If they actually come up through the concrete then it will be more work.. I had assumed that they can out of the ground (dirt) so digging down a few inches would not be much of an issue.

There might be enough clean pipe under the old valves, but it is hard to tell for sure..

Thanks,

Jim R.

My new quote is about $380, but was broken down for parts and labor, labor being $100/hr.
And the plan to replace everything from the ground to the pump using directional valves. I think this sounds like the way to go.

Thank you again for the information, the first quote was sticker shock. This still isn't cheap, but now that I understand more about what's involved, and what the valves would cost anyways, its easier to swallow.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.