Balancing My Water; Latest Numbers

carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
Okay, I ran all my numbers today, after adding muriatic acid, balancer, and calcium hardness stuff this week. I was planning on adding 10# of calcium stuff, but Lowes only had 1 5# bottle left. After testing today, it seems I was right in thinking I needed another 5#. Looks like pH creeped up again, so Ill add some more MA today. Salt stayed the same; do I need to worry about that number being higher than advised? I did turn the SWG down to only run 10 hours which is adding 1.5 daily. Can I even lower it from that?

FC 8.8
CC 0
pH 8
TA 90
CH 290
CYA 32
Salt 3800

I do feel like Im heading in the right direction to get to the optimum spot on these. Thanks.

Re-tested pH after adding MA....it now tests at 7.4, the lowest Ive ever tested it at. I think thats probably a good thing, since from all that Ive read, it indicates that it will gradually creep up anyway, so I think Im in a better range. Now all I need is an 85 degree day so I can testdrive my new pool!

I think you are on the right track at the moment. While your CYA is low for a salt pool (for now), summer is when you'll really need it higher (min 70). Obviously retaining FC is not a problem, so it's okay for now.

FYI - When the CYA is closer to 30 than 40, just call it 30. Don't try to split hairs in between. When it's halfway or above, round-up.

Reactions: carnivalday
Texas Splash, I figured the 30 CYA was low, but since the first 2 times I tested I couldnt even get a reading, I felt pretty good actually getting a reading! We're having a pretty unusual winter, overcast, little to no sun, so its probably a good time for me to be learning my figures. FC should be holding pretty steady, and I can slowly work on easing up the CYA.

Texas Splash, I figured the 30 CYA was low, but since the first 2 times I tested I couldnt even get a reading, I felt pretty good actually getting a reading! We're having a pretty unusual winter, overcast, little to no sun, so its probably a good time for me to be learning my figures. FC should be holding pretty steady, and I can slowly work on easing up the CYA.
cd,

Makes sense for now. I did the same thing when I first converted to salt but was amazed how much easier it was to balance after I raised the CYA to recommended levels for a salt pool.

Your questions and responses show you're really getting this. Congrats!!

Chris

• Love
You should turn on CSI tracking and enter your water temperature for the CSI calculation. It is good to be aware of your CSI and not let your water balance get out of the normal CSI range for long periods of time. If you follow TFP recommended levels your CSI will usually stay in a good range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris, in looking at my future weather, it looks like Im in a cloudy and rainy pattern for the next few weeks....how strange.....but anyway, since my FC is good, I think Ill just watch my numbers and stop tweeking for now. (except for another 5# of calcium hardness stuff when Lowes gets it back in). Once we get in a pattern of sunny days ....please hurry!!.....Ill get that CYA up to 70 and see how the sun treats my numbers. With these dreary rainy days Im feeling like Im back in NJ! Gives me nightmares!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.