Balancing fiberglass pool

Apr 4, 2017
Alligator, MS
So I just repainted fiberglass pool with Olympic zeron epoxy paint. I've been a TFP member since April, 2017 and have followed the recommendations with great success. I'll post a copy of what Olympic is recommending and let you all comment. The ones I have questions on are the alkalinity, sequestering agent, and clarifier. I have used clarifier in small amounts maybe a couple times a year, and it works great to really clear pool up. Thanks

Attachments

• Pool .pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
Terry,

The use of clarifier or floc assumes you have a cartridge filter you can clean or replace the cartridge. Clarifier and floc is glue and it will gum up your sand filter and not backwash out. You will need to deep clean or replace the sand to clean out your filter.

They are recommending a sequestering agent to keep iron or other metals in the water from depositing on the paint and them getting complaints. If you have no metals in your fill water then no reason for it.

What is your pool TA now?

The CH at their recommended levels can not hurt.

Let us know how your pool paint ages. They don't seem to last many seasons.

I’ve been keeping Alkalinity between 70-90. So is there any problem keeping it at 125-150? On the paint, I’m beginning to think it won’t last all that long, but I wasn’t sure what the best way to refinish it. It’s 40-50 years old and I had a quote to totally sand it and re Gelcoat it and it was $40,000 3 years ago.

A TA above about 80 will keep you pH rising. To maintain a high TA like you state, you will add acid, then baking soda, then acid, then baking soda. The hamster wheel of chemistry.

I would keep your TA in the normal TFP range and not raise it to satisfy a paint company whose reason is not clearly stated.

Hi. I am new to TFP.

Mknauss, above, you said:

“A TA above about 80 will keep you pH rising. To maintain a high TA like you state, you will add acid, then baking soda, then acid, then baking soda. The hamster wheel of chemistry.”

What caught my attention, was the part about TA above 80 causing pH to rise. I have been fighting high pH for a while now (seems to just continuously rise), but maybe it’s because I’m trying to keep my TA around 90-100...at least over 80. I’ve been doing exactly whatyou say...acid, then baking soda, then acid, then baking soda, on and on and on. You got me thinking, if I try to maintain a slightly lower TA, say 60-70, wonder if my pH will level off and hold steady and I can get off the hamster wheel or at least slow it down a bit?? Is a TA of 60-70 ok? Does this attempt sound reasonable to you?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.