Balancing a safe pH and CSI

Txhuntr2

Apr 7, 2021
Houston
I have an 11,500gal, 4 year old plaster/pebble pool with a saltwater generator. I strive to keep my CSI in line but I'm somewhat concerned about any negative health consequences of my pH being this high. Should I be concerned about our eyes, or skin, etc. if I keep pH in the 7.8-8ish range in order to have CSI dialed in? What is the safe upper limit to pH?

For reference:
pH: 8.0
TA: 70
CYA: 80
CH: 350
Salt: 3400
Borate: 0
Temp: 78
CSI: 0.02

Should I be concerned about our eyes, or skin, etc. if I keep pH in the 7.8-8ish range in order to have CSI dialed in?

No.

What is the safe upper limit to pH?

Any pH above 7 into the 8's will be safe. When the pH levels reach or exceed 12.5 pH, it then becomes hazardous. Pool water is never going to get that high on its own.

Low pH is acidic and could be dangerous at very low levels. High pH is alkaline and is safe up to 12.5.

Low pH is acidic and could be dangerous at very low levels. High pH is alkaline and is safe up to 12.5.

I find it hilarious how the stores sell “alkaline water” and make a big deal that the water has a pH of 9.0 … and charge you 3X what a bottle of “regular” water costs. All water that has any measurable carbonate alkalinity in it will tend to have a pH over 8.2. If you add enough carbonate (ie, baking soda or potassium carbonate), you can easily get the water pH above 9.0. It’s all safe to drink and the pH of the water you ingest (within safe limits) has precisely zero effect on your health or absorption of minerals, etc.

The pop-culture nowadays on basic water chemistry is just so over-hyped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.