Balance vs Recommended Levels

Dec 5, 2018
Palm City, FL
Newer to pool ownership and starting to take control of my own pool rather than using a service. I have been testing my water with the k2006 test kit and have the following question. Routinely I find that the FC, TA, CYA and CH are out of the recommended ranges however the pool is crystal clear and the CSI is balanced at -0.17. Certainly I understand the need to get the FC in control however do I need to be concerned about the others if the pool is balanced? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G,

Never adjust the TA to just get a number in range.. As long as your pH is ok, don't worry about TA unless it goes below 50..

Instead of making us guess, why not just show us your numbers??? Clear water does not necessarily mean there are no issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Merged thread - TFP Mod
According to Pool Calculator I need to add just over 20 lbs of calcium to my pool. I read on here that it just needs to be sprinkled in the deep end of the pool vs diluting in a bucket. My concern is that 20 lbs is a lot and I don’t want to do anything that could hurt my pool finish. My pool is small at 12k gallons (including the spa, sunshelf and surge tank). Should I be raising the calcium slowly over time? If so, how long should I wait? Do I need to constantly brush? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

Please add information about the size of your pool and post your test results. This will greatly help experts to respond.

Chris

I’m confused about the discussion of “recommended level” vs “balancing”. Isn’t the water balanced when held within recommended levels? It seems the OP is implying that it’s ‘balanced’ if CSI is within recommended range regardless of other parameters. My CSI is often out of range but I still consider the pool balanced.

The above article explains how to add each chemical to your pool.

With calcium chloride, some dissolve it in water in a bucket prior to adding to the pool. But you must do this in very small amounts of calcium chloride. It will become VERY hot when added to water.

Best is to sprinkle a pound or two in the deep end and brush, etc to be sure they are full dissolved. Add two or three pounds a day. Once you have added 1/2 to 2/3rds of what you need, what a couple days and then test CH to confirm that you need to add the rest.

I’m confused about the discussion of “recommended level” vs “balancing”. Isn’t the water balanced when held within recommended levels? It seems the OP is implying that it’s ‘balanced’ if CSI is within recommended range regardless of other parameters. My CSI is often out of range but I still consider the pool balanced.
What I meant is that if I look at the Taylor Balance Wheel or the CSI, it states that my water is balanced even though my CYA, CH and TA are out of range. From some of the guidance above it seems that I need to make sure everything is in range then most likely it will be balanced. Make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.