Baffling In Ground Spa Leak

Sep 29, 2017
Miami, FL
Have an in ground spa and pool. Spa is raised above pool by a couple of feet (see pics attached). Some mornings before the pump comes on I have lost half the water in my spa (about to the jet line - approx. 500 gallons). Others mornings there is negligible water missing. Does not seem to be temperature related. I have checked the jets for leaks using dye. I have run many tests and have determined that if I allow the pump to be turned off at the end of the day by my Jandy system, I lose half the water by the next morning. If I manually turn it off at the end of the day before the timer does, I lose almost none by the next morning. Sounds weird, I know, and as an engineer, this is keeping me up at night. I have methodically verified this multiple times. Regardless, the pool level does not change up or down. I have verified that regardless of which method I use, the valve positions do not change on turn off and turn on. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180211_140249.jpg
    20180211_140249.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 23
ph,

Have you, or have you not, checked the check valve that prevents just the problem you are having???

When a Spa drains down to the returns and stops, it is almost always the check valve.

How about posting a picture of your equipment pad showing your Return valve and any other valves in the general area...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I do manual shutoff from interior Jandy control and using the breaker outside. Both have same result - negligible leak.

- - - Updated - - -

ph,

Have you, or have you not, checked the check valve that prevents just the problem you are having???

When a Spa drains down to the returns and stops, it is almost always the check valve.

How about posting a picture of your equipment pad showing your Return valve and any other valves in the general area...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Have not looked at the check valves as I assumed that since I had a large net loss of water, as opposed to going between the pool and spa, that they are not suspect. What is the best way to verify them? Pic of equipment attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180211_153401.jpg
    20180211_153401.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 18
Just wanted to be sure we are all on the same page - you are adding large amounts of water to your system due to the spa level going down. Correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to be sure we are all on the same page - you are adding large amounts of water to your system due to the spa level going down. Correct?

Correct.

- - - Updated - - -

ph,

Any idea why the Return valve (the one on the left in your pic) is in the position it is in???

Normally it would be one way or the other, not in the middle?

Jim R.

Spa returns. I think in that position (middle) you get some flow to the spa jets in pool mode to have the water spill over. In spa mode it moves to the right for full flow to the jets. Am assuming full left is no flow to the jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.