Bad storm last night...

kmeleon

Jun 15, 2020
Breinigsville, PA
Hey guys,

Just want to make sure I'm doing everything I should be with my pool since we had a tornado watch early this morning and took on a lot of rain water overnight.

I woke up this morning to my pool water over top of the skimmer boxes which was kind of shocking considering I was probably only about 1/2" from having to fill it yesterday. The water was cloudy, hard to see the drains in the deep end....kind of shocked because the pool has always been super clear so this is new territory for me (must have been a lot of dirt whipping around from the near by tornados overnight). So I pumped off the excess water and brought it down to a good level. Cleaned the skimmers and kicked the pump up to high ( I have a variable speed) for the rest of the day to try and filter the debris better. I then checked my chemicals, and had the following: 7.0FC, 0.0CC, 8.0PH (has been sitting right around 7.6 for weeks now that my TA is in check), 70TA (didn't check CYA but has been 70 as of two days ago), salt 2850 (a touch low but I'll add a bag in the next couple days). So I added 42oz of MA to bring the PH down appropriately. Next, I threw the robot in and let that run for a few hours, pulled the robot and cleaned the filters ....ALOT of dirt. I threw the robot back in and brushed around the edges of the walls and the steps where the robot misses dirt at times. So I just checked my FC and PH using the basic Taylor kit and FC is over 5ppm, PH sitting about 7.2. So am I doing everything right following a storm like this? Should I give it a shot of chlorine up to SLAM levels tonight over night just to be safe?

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

I say slam isn't necessary but you can raise the FC 2-3 ppm for overnight. Everything else looks good. Check the CYA as you've pumped off water and away with it went chems too. By tomorrow it'll be pretty close to what you had prior to the storm.

We actually decided to swim this evening for a bit, I figured it would help stir up any remaining dirt. Looks clearer afterwards. I'll keep the pump running and stay the course. We're expecting more rain Tuesday all day so I may hold off till Wednesday on checking the CYA. Thank you for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.