Bad sand filter questions

Ghostmedic0

Dec 3, 2019
Tl;Dr wondering what issues to look for when checking internals of my sand filter? How long of a service life does a sand filter housing usually get before needing replacement?

Pentair triton 2 side mount Sand filter is running 35 psi (normal more like 20) on filter mode with low pressure from jets and clogs up the in line filter on my pool cleaner hose within hours. On recirculate I have high pressure at jets with good pressure to cleaner hose as well. Seems like a slam dunk diagnosis of filter problem.

I'm wondering what I can do to prevent this filter issue since I've constantly been managing high pressure problems. I'm now suspecting many problems were related to filter leaking/cracked somehow.

I opened up the filter maybe a year ago and replaced the sand without adding water first, probably cracking the manifold. So I'll replace that. I also wonder about the plumbing inside and what to look for?

The main question: Is sand shooting out of the returns into the pool? If not then the filter will be ok.
Now fo the most important part, how are you maintaining your pool? Do you use algaecides, Floc, etc..
How do you chlorinate your water, Tabs? Liquid chlorine, Shock?
Your pressure seams quite high, can you take a picture of your equipment pad?
Here is some reading to start you on the TFP ways.Pool Care Basics,you will need a properTest Kits Compared.

I made a few 20 second videos. Your sand is likely coming from this screen, this hose, or this fitting is loose.

Its almost never the laterals, start with the screen, then hose, then the fitting under the sand.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.