Bad pool dad. Looking to change my ways!

Trod760

Jul 16, 2021
palm springs, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi there. We had a beautiful SW pool built a few years ago. All Jandy equipment, pebbletec, roughly 14k gallons. As a new owner I was on it. Brushing 3x a week, constantly checking levels, etc. This past year, I neglected my pool and paid the price. Started noticing black algae spots here and there. This weekend I drained my pool, scrubbed off all the algae with a wire brush, hit it with a chlorine tab, then scrubbed again. most completely came off. Have been maintaining high FC 5ppm+ since the refill. Everything looks good. Levels back to where they should be. Holding off on algaeacide to allow freshly added CYA to take hold.

Love the features of this app, look forward to learning a lot from you guys.

2091.jpeg

Attachments

• 20191219_091649.jpg
    20191219_091649.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 16
Hey Todd and Welcome !!
Have been maintaining high FC 5ppm+
We lose 2-4ppm daily to the sun. For you right now smack in the middle of the peak season, in SoCal, you will lose the most possible, maybe even more than the 4 if we include swimmers.

Your 5+ could be losing 5 and leaving you with 0, or close to it everyday. You want to end up with 5+ *after* the daily loss. It will give you one whole days worth of FC to spare for any events that happen.

Reactions: Trod760
Hey Todd and Welcome !!

We lose 2-4ppm daily to the sun. For you right now smack in the middle of the peak season, in SoCal, you will lose the most possible, maybe even more than the 4 if we include swimmers.

Your 5+ could be losing 5 and leaving you with 0, or close to it everyday. You want to end up with 5+ *after* the daily loss. It will give you one whole days worth of FC to spare for any events that happen.
since my initial post, I've read up and keep it at 7+ now. pool hardly gets used, so the sun is the only thing eating it up. I have my SWG set to 65%. Pump runs 9 hours during the day and a few hours overnight. CYA 60-75. Just added borates today 😃

Reactions: Newdude
Since you found algae, you might want to do an overnight chlorine loss test. Check FC at sundown, and if not already off then, turn off the SWCG. Be sure the SWCG doesn't run during the night. Then check in the morning before the SWCG is on and before sun hits the pool. If FC is lower in the morning, you still have algae. The FC number on your log 6.8, suggests you're using a pool store for water tests. It is generally advised here to use your own proper test kit. Either the TF100 from here or the Taylor K2006C. BTW, I don't know about your SWCG, but Pentair advises against using dry acid with their IC line of SWCGs. Just FWIW.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support