Bad install? Glass tile and coping

How many years of experience it must take for some of these sub contractors to perfect the art of deflecting the blame back to the customer, rather than refining their craft. I mean really, if they spent half as much time just getting it right the first time, there would be no discussion about a crappy job to begin with. And then when you bring it to their attention, they are somehow offended that you dare attack them personally?

I also just find it crazy to think there even has to be an argument (from the PB side) about this. I pay the PB to be my "advocate" in this project. I picked a PB to build "all of my pool", not just the parts of the work he finds satisfactory, and what the customer doesn't like, go talk to someone else. Excuse me, I didn't pay that guy who doesn't know how to properly cut tile, or even pick him, you did! Worst yet, neither the tile guy, or the PB would find that satisfactory for their own build, no good reason why they should expect you to be happy with it.

Question.

when a pool builder drops off materials like pavers and there is excess Left over after the job is finished who’s is it?

i wanna keep the extra for a fire Pitt someday.

Attachments

• B8266EC0-D1AB-4506-8505-DFD4EA491516.jpeg
    B8266EC0-D1AB-4506-8505-DFD4EA491516.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 64
My patio guys took the leftovers and returned them. I made sure to have them give me some first in case any ever cracked.

Reactions: Viper1550

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question.

when a pool builder drops off materials like pavers and there is excess Left over after the job is finished who’s is it?

i wanna keep the extra for a fire Pitt someday.
I worked under the assumption that if it was delivered to my yard I have paid for it, so any left overs are mine to do with as I please. Extra box of tiles, pallet of flagstone, extra pavers etc...

Most contractors will take all extras. The reason is simple, we deal with some paver suppliers who only sell certain ones by the pallet, we will pay for the pallet even though your job may only require 20 pieces, you are not charged for the pallet. The tile setters like to pick up full boxes from distributors as it is usually quicker. The customer is being charged for an area to be covered with a product for a specific price not for a certain amount of product. Almost all builders will leave some extras for the homeowner as courtesy.

Finally Got the step tiles installed but earlier in the day he tried to get us to choose betweeen two colors that we didn’t originally pick months ago lol. So we made him drive to pick up the correct ones. Than he tried to act like a hero that he found what we wanted!

He also tried to argue that he did replace all of the chipped tiles ontop of the spa even tho he really only did a few awhile ago. I have the original pic so I can tell what’s new and what's still bad.

He kept saying “I did those already” and then next breath “customer is always right”. He doesn't really argue but he makes those snarky remarks. Also hasn’t done the wide grout areas in the corners.

Attachments

• 25E964EF-1FBF-44EE-9D38-EA4696233C2E.jpeg
    25E964EF-1FBF-44EE-9D38-EA4696233C2E.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 2FEBC602-0A2A-4710-AB92-67B24C4B96DF.jpeg
    2FEBC602-0A2A-4710-AB92-67B24C4B96DF.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
And it continues!

PB basically fixed all of our complaints today but surprised us with a request for our last big payment even tho he hasn’t installed the baby gate or done the plaster.

Unfortunately the contract doesn’t talk about plaster but you can see the trend that we always pay him “following completion”. We refused to pay him until that’s done given all the problems we’ve had so far. PB walked off the job and said he’s not doing anything else until he’s paid.

——
TOTAL PRICE $**,***.00
PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
1) Deposit due prior to permit submittal: $*,000.00
2) Due following shell gunite: $**,000.00
3) Due following plumbing and tile installation: $**,000.00
4) Due following deck installation: $**,000.00
5) Due following equipment installation: $**,000.00
6) Due following final inspection: $***.00

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats
And it continues!

PB basically fixed all of our complaints today but surprised us with a request for our last big payment even tho he hasn’t installed the baby gate or done the plaster.

Unfortunately the contract doesn’t talk about plaster but you can see the trend that we always pay him “following completion”. We refused to pay him until that’s done given all the problems we’ve had so far. PB walked off the job and said he’s not doing anything else until he’s paid.

——
TOTAL PRICE $**,***.00
PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
1) Deposit due prior to permit submittal: $*,000.00
2) Due following shell gunite: $**,000.00
3) Due following plumbing and tile installation: $**,000.00
4) Due following deck installation: $**,000.00
5) Due following equipment installation: $**,000.00
6) Due following final inspection: $***.00

as a percentage, does the amount of work left to accomplish equal the amount money you owe? Looks like the pay schedule clearly says remainder is due after final inspection, can a final inspection be completed without the work left to be completed?

Also at this point I would not trust the guy to be touching my pool.

Reactions: mguzzy and S S
Very sad :(

For comparison, our contract states:

TOTAL PRICE $**,***.00
PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
1) 40% Due following excavation: $**,000.00
2) 30% Due following gunite shell: $**,000.00
3) 20% Due following deck pour: $**,000.00
4) 10% Due prior to plaster installation: $*,000.00

So my builder collects the last payment prior to the plaster installation. Not sure if this is an industry standard or not though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.