Backwashing leaves DE on my Grids

J,

What specific filter do you have?

If you have to clean them every couple of weeks, something is seriously wrong with your pool water.

As an example.. I have two rent house pools with Hayward grid style DE filters.. I never backwash them anymore and just open and clean them twice a year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree with Jim above - cleaning every 2 weeks would be a nightmare. I backwash before I clean, just to make the cleaning process easier. Backwashing removes most, but not all of the DE. I typically clean my filter 3-4 times
per year, but we have lots of trees, including cedar elms that produce tons of small seeds that inevitably find their way into the pool.

Same here. Quad DE and I only backwash just prior to complete disassembly and cleaning so I can send the debris and old DE down the backwash house to keep much less DE scattered around my pad.

Pollen aside (that was a mess, I’ll never open in April again!), the hairnets have been amazing. I think I removed 3 leaves total from the filter strainer basket (now I actually turn off the pump when replacing skimmer hairnets to not suck anything up the pipe) and my filter pressure has gone up 2 psi the entire season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.