Backwashing Frequency

rdbrya1

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2016
Gonzales
Hi everyone, Happy Monday! I had a question on when exactly I should be backwashing. I have always read that once the filter pressure rises by a certain amount (past the clean filter pressure), that was when it should be done. It is just when I look at the little pressure gauge, it never creeps up. I used to think it was broken or just a cheap one that didn't work, or maybe the needle was stuck, but when its off, it goes go down to 0. When it turns on, the needle goes right back to that baseline "freshly backwashed" pressure. Its been like 3 months now and its still never gets any higher than that baseline.

Just wondering if that could be normal. We have a sand filter (not sure how many lbs, trying to determine that) and do not have any trees around and do not get a lot of leaves and debris in the pool. However sometimes, if enough time passes, I will backwash anyway, even when it is at the clean baseline...and a lot of dirty water definitely comes out so it makes me nervous that I should be doing it more. Any input would be so appreciated!! :)

ETA: I read something about just deep cleaning the sand filter once a year as an alternative to backwashing, but our filter is in a small enclosed shed and i can't imagine overflowing that water inside there...hopefully that is not necessary :)

Last edited:
I clean my cartridge once per year and the PSI never rises much. The cleaning frequency depends on the type and size of your filter and how much stuff falls in the pool. But I would clean the filter at least once per year.

Sharing my experience with that... I was seeing my filter pressure never going above 15. After a storm and a green pool the water flow return started decreasing significantly but no change in pressure. I looked very close to the needle and saw the cardboard behind it was touching the needle. So I bought a new gauge and sure enough the pressure was 35. The pool guy that charged me 500 for cleaning the green and changing the manifold didnt notice it...
All these happened before learning about TFP of course.

Awesome - thanks everyone for the input! The water is definitely pretty muddy for a few seconds when I randomly backwash so I really thought I should be doing it more often than my gauge says to.
Hi, I just recently saw your post about backwashing. When our pool was installed, our contractor told me to backwash every two weeks. We live in South Louisiana also, just North of Baton Rouge. Just wanted to say hi neighbor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.