Rolesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Today we had a large amount of rain. The pool water level got pretty high, so I decided to drain to a more acceptable level since more rain expected later this evening.

I typically just set my filter to waste and turn the pump on 100%, lay out the backwash hose and just let it rip.

As I watched the water drain into the street and into the storm drain, I started thinking - is there any ordinance that prohibits this ? I went on my city, county, state websites and they do not say anything specific that says that it is illegal.

Questions:

1.) Anyone out there from NC know what the regulations are for this ?

2.) The street is about 30-40 yards from my filter. Maybe a better way to do this (so at least it doesn't look like I am draining right into the street) is to shorten the backwash hose and just let it "spray" onto my lawn (anyone know of a device that can be put on a hose to spray the water)?

3.) Is water drainage from a properly treated pool really dangerous for the environment ?

4) some have suggested draining into sewer clean out - sounds like a little much.

Thanks

Draining into the sewer cleanout is required here in my area. It really depends on your local regulations. They are all over the place. Some areas have FC restrictions, salt restrictions, etc. Others just let it go wherever.

Draining into the sewer cleanout is required here in my area. It really depends on your local regulations. They are all over the place. Some areas have FC restrictions, salt restrictions, etc. Others just let it go wherever.

Thanks -do you use a flexible hose and just pump the backwash water (using the pool pump) directly into the sewer cleanup ?

When I drain my pool due to CH buildup I use a submersible pump with a line to the sewer cleanout.

I would never us the pool pump to drain water for very long. Too many chances of running it dry and damaging it. You can get a submersible pump for under $80.

I suspect it really depends on local ordinances. Here I'm allowed to drain dechlorinated pool water into the storm drains. I am not allowed to drain pool water (chlorinated or not) into the sanitary sewer drains.

This is opposite @mknauss, and backs up his statement that ordinances are all over the place.

You could call your local water district. Alternatively try searching for "municode city name". My old town and my current town both use municode to host local ordinances, and it's pretty easy to navigate and has search functions too. Check the table of contents for sewer, there's probably a section on allowed and forbidden discharges to both sanitary and storm sewers.

If not municode I suspect they post the ordinances somewhere else. It's probably a rare place these days that doesn't have online access to city/town or state ordinances/codes.

As others suggested, call in or search the municipal code. Start with Rolesville, then Wake County, and finally NC DEQ. Pay particular attention to the verbiage because, where I live, there are very specific discharge regulations... for commercial and public pools. There is very little regulation on backyard residential pools.

Jsefert,

Thanks for the response.

I see that dechlorinated water is allowed in the storm drain. I guess what is definition of dechlorinated water since drinking water has a FC level of up to 3 and lots of people round here water their lawns while residual water runs into the storm drain.

Just out of curiosity, if you have to take some water off or backwash, where do discharge your pool water ? The only other possibility is to let it run into your yard and hope most get sucked into ground.

all that being said, my wife again thinks I’m overthinking it ?

Me? I don't have a pool yet. When I drained my spa when we bought our house I drained it into the yard. In the past with my inflatable spa I either did that, or hooked a yard sprinkler up to the submersible pump I was using and watered my lawn with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.