Backwash Valve STUCK

pspercy

May 1, 2019
N. Texas
Pentair backwash valve "push-pull", 2" pvc. 3 yrs old.

Plunger well and truly stuck closed. Cannot twist or pull it. Lubricated O-rings at end of last summer.
Tried everything, even tried to bump it out with pump (collar unscrewed), doesn't budge.
Can twist a few degrees with great effort but afraid I'll break it.

Help!

Another way is to get the white top up like in the picture and there is a black plate just below. On the plate there is a small hole and if you can work a tiny screwdriver or other tool you can lift plate up and use soap to lubricate or place handles of a pair of channel locks under plate and try working it up and out. Be careful this has a pvc shaft and could snap on you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When they started to make backwash valves out of plastic, it created a real problem. The old brass ones were nice because you could beat up on them (pry against them) and they wouldn't break. You gotta be careful with the plastic ones... or just replace the whole thing (PITA).

Another way is to get the white top up like in the picture and there is a black plate just below. On the plate there is a small hole and if you can work a tiny screwdriver or other tool you can lift plate up and use soap to lubricate or place handles of a pair of channel locks under plate and try working it up and out. Be careful this has a pvc shaft and could snap on you.
Thank you for posting these tips. I was able to free up a stuck valve by soaking it in Zero lubricant, adding it at top over several days. Then prying up on the top disk with a long thin screwdriver gave enough leverage to finally pull the stem assembly out. I would never have been able fix this without this info. :giggle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.