Backwash trench line during construction, please share your experience

Millergirl

Oct 19, 2019
Texas
Has anyone else had a trench dug to tie into the city sewer line? I thought the digging would be limited to my back (behind the house) yard, but just learned they are going to be digging a trench down our side yard and into the front yard! (Just learned about this yesterday in our first pre-construction meeting.)
Note: I know my back yard will be full on construction zone. I'm just asking specifically about the backwash trench to tie into the sewer line.

If you can share your experience...
Just curious how big the trench? How long they left it open?
Basically just want some idea what to expect with the tie into the sewer line.

Why I'm asking: We have dogs and I was planning to use our side yard for their potty area during construction, but not if there's an open trench for the duration!
Also, now I'm guessing that ALL the zones of my sprinkler system are at risk of being destroyed vs just the ones in the back.

If you'd had a backwash trench dug, would love to hear about your experience. Thanks!

We had one dug, it went around the side of the house and met up with the sewer line in one of the front flower beds.

The actual trench wasnt too bad as they trenched, laid the pipe, and covered most of the pipe all in the same day. Only the area in the flower bed remained uncovered for the inspection a day or so later.

While the trench duration wasnt too bad, it did cause them to dig up lots of areas of the yard that had escaped damage with the original excavation. That trench finished off a couple of sprinkler system zones and our internet cable.

Looking back it wasnt too bad, as the electrical and pipe trenches were much more of an ordeal.
However, if you really dont want to deal with it can you switch to a cartridge filter and not have a backwash line?

Reactions: Millergirl
MG,

All the cities around the DFW area required DE filters to be connected to the sewer... I wanted a DE filter but did not want the expense of adding a backwash line, so I went with a large cartridge filter...

I did not know it at the time, but it was one of the best decision I made during my pool build... I have two rent house pools that have DE filters, and when they bite the dust, I will install cartridge filters.. No messing with DE, no multiport valve to go bad or restrict the water flow.. Simple is almost always better.

I could go a whole year between cleanings, but I normally clean the filter twice a year, just to be safe.

I suggest you go cartridge.. and "ditch" the trench.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

We had one dug, it went around the side of the house and met up with the sewer line in one of the front flower beds.

The actual trench wasnt too bad as they trenched, laid the pipe, and covered most of the pipe all in the same day. Only the area in the flower bed remained uncovered for the inspection a day or so later.

While the trench duration wasnt too bad, it did cause them to dig up lots of areas of the yard that had escaped damage with the original excavation. That trench finished off a couple of sprinkler system zones and our internet cable.

Looking back it wasnt too bad, as the electrical and pipe trenches were much more of an ordeal.
However, if you really dont want to deal with it can you switch to a cartridge filter and not have a backwash line?

Thank you for shedding some light on the process! So sounds like we'll lose more sprinklers than I thought, but hopefully it won't be too bad with the dogs. Thanks again!

MG,

All the cities around the DFW area required DE filters to be connected to the sewer... I wanted a DE filter but did not want the expense of adding a backwash line, so I went with a large cartridge filter...

I did not know it at the time, but it was one of the best decision I made during my pool build... I have two rent house pools that have DE filters, and when they bite the dust, I will install cartridge filters.. No messing with DE, no multiport valve to go bad or restrict the water flow.. Simple is almost always better.

I could go a whole year between cleanings, but I normally clean the filter twice a year, just to be safe.

I suggest you go cartridge.. and "ditch" the trench.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, thanks for the info. I haven't heard of the cartridge option, but am definitely going to read up on it now. Was it expensive to add that option?

MG,

When you factor in the required multiport valve needed for the DE filter, a cartridge filter is about the same cost..

The larger the filter the better.. I have a Pentair CCP 520, which had 520 sq. ft. of filter area.. "Most" DE filter have 60 sq. ft. or less..

The Cartridges should last about 10 years, before needing to be replaced.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had a backwash/drain installed per our city code. The trench wasn’t bad but our equipment is close to the front of the house. They dug a short run to the clean out at the front of the house and covered most of it up except the connection that needed to be inspected. It was inspected the next day, passed, and buried. It’s wasn’t bad at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.