Back for more help -- pool heater and remote access

Kouri

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2017
Central Florida
Good Morning:

About a year ago, we successfully refinished our pool with help from Trouble Free Pool. We had mosiacs made from Light Stream Glass and used the baking soda technique for re-fill. This year, the pool looks great and is still under the care of the same service person. No complaints.

Now we'd like to add a heater. We are seasonal users, aka snowbirds, and want to extend the season a bit. We have natural gas but would consider other options and remote access is a must. I'd like suggestions on the equipment: heater, controller, app and cover. When it comes to the cover, we'd like something that's easy to remove and store when we're not here.

Kouri, the cat, sends belated holiday greetings.
Thanks and any all suggestions.Kouri Christmas 2017.jpg
Susan

Yes, what automation system, if any, are you running now?

Most gas pool heater "integrate" with times or control systems in an "on/off" kind of way, as opposed to controlling temp onboard a remote.

For example, on my remote control (but not web-based or mobile phone accessible) Intermatic PE653 I can control my Raypak 266 btu heater EITHER by timed schedule on/off, or with a temperature sensor, can contol the temp, but not BOTH modes. So I set the temp point on the Raypak and then remotely turn the heater on or off or let it run the times I've scheduled.

The Intermatic pe653 is relatively inexpensive (eg $350) but this is in part because it des not readily integrate into home automation or mobile phone access.

The Pentair easy touch automation system is more expensive but can, by adding screen logic, be integrated for operation via iPhone. Price tag of base system with 8 relays runs in the $1500 range, screen logic adds another $360.

Jany Aqualink is another option. But usually one s best using the automation that's the same brand as most of your equipuipment. The Hayward omnilogic appears to have a phone app and is in the price range of the Pentair system but on the forum I can say I've heard uniformly positive things about it -- but take that with a grain f salt as I have no direct experience with it.

Hopefully that gives you a few things to review. If you tell us more about how your pool operates now and your automation goals we might be able to narrow down the field ;)

I have the Hayward version. It allows me to set a temperature and when the filter kicks on, the pool will heat to that temperature and not shut off until the temperature is reached. It does have a module to connect to WiFi and then operate on smart phones via an app, but I haven’t sprung for that yet.