Awkward backyard build

dorgan

Apr 13, 2017
Rockledge, FL
So later this week I will be putting down my $1,000 to get in line for our pool build. Our yard is an interesting shape and we have overhead power lines we have to get hurried in order to get a pool put in. So far here is the prelimary drawing: 47814359-C0FA-4EBD-ADF7-B815D28D4AD8.jpeg

Not doing too much extra as we are trying to keep the price down. Deck will be extended at a later point in time. I am leaning towards adding an extra led light, and making the depth 3-6ft. We also have a small sunshelf in there.

I would go 4' to 5'. Only lebron can stand up in 6' of water and you still cant dive in it. 3' is very shallow, as Kim said. Hold a tape measure up to everyone to see how deep 3' and 4' is. With 4" on one side and 5' on the other people can play catch or have kids on one end and adults at the other.

Ok just signed the paper work today and picked out colors/tiles. For now sticking with the 3’-6’ option as we have an added $3,000 expense getting the main power line hurried as it runs right over where the pool is going to be.

I’ve got a couple more weeks if I decide to add go with 3 1/2.

$750 is about right for a depth change, I think I payed $500 for an extra foot in our deep end and it was a small diameter area. I can say with 100% certainty I wish I had seen a thread about going deeper in the shallow end before our build, it's my biggest and perhaps only regret. I would take the extra depth over an extra light any day, you could even go so far as to having the plumbing for the extra light put in but buy and install the light at later date if you go niechless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW.....I would heed the others advice about the 3' depth. They know of what they speak.
In addition to what's already been said, 3' of water can get awfully warm in the hot Florida sun. An extra 6" depth would also make less of a transition to the deeper area.
Certainly you may have specific reasons for that particular depth. We don't know who or how your pool will be used. But if the primary concern is just cost, the reality is the sting of the $750 is temporary and soon forgotten. However, any issues you may have from too shallow of a pool will be forever. I'd find other, more up-gradable areas to save $ on.

Yeah the more and more I think on this I think i want to spend the extra $750, so will likely have the agreement amended....
If you break it down to time/money, then that change will cost a whopping $75 a year (or $6.25/mo) over 10 years. So in the grand scheme of things, the $750 isn't that big of a cost for what would probably be a significant benefit.

We talked to the builder and he assured us one light will be enough, especially with the sun shelf. Currently the electrician is working with the power company so that the main power line over where the pool will be can be buried. Elevation survey was just done today so that builder can apply for permits. Moving alone!

Alright so I spoke with the pool builder today and had them change the plans to be 3 1/2 fee in the shallow end. We also decided to move the seating ledge over to the same side as the sun shelf. Elevation survey required by city has been done and delivered to the builder. They will be filing that with the department of public works for review. Power company has been paid to convert out main to be underground and electrician is moving forward on Monday to get utilities mapped out in the backyard in order to move forward on conversion. Currently before changing to 3 1/2 feet in the shallow end the pool was set to be 11,127 gallons

Here's an updated drawing. I believe someone was asking where the light was going to be, its in the new drawing and is located on the furthest wall from the house.

IMG_3079.jpg

Reactions: Msch99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.