Average amount liquid chlorine

JJU

Apr 16, 2020
Libby, Montana
On average for a 14300 gallon abg pool in full sun, used a decent amount by kids. Sand filter. How much liquid chlorine should I have for the summer? We don’t live near a store that would stock large amount. Ace hardware is our only option. Until we can drive 1.5 hrs away. Well water. Will be getting it tested for better #s but heading to the big town tomorrow. I haven’t set it up yet still doing ground work.

An average would be 3 ppm FC per day. Some days less, some days more.

Rough estimate is 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine a day.

Depending on the CH level of your water, you might be able to use some cal hypo.

Is your water considered 'hard'?

Yes. We have really hard water. But we r hoping to get a water softener that we will fill the pool half way with and the rest with well water. Estimating for a 4 month swim season, and possibly some slam time for inexperienced beginners ? approximately 70 gallons? Ruffly 20 gallons a month stored in a cool place

Yes. We have really hard water. But we r hoping to get a water softener that we will fill the pool half way with and the rest with well water. Estimating for a 4 month swim season, and possibly some slam time for inexperienced beginners ?

OK -- then skip the Cal Hypo.

20 gallons a month should work from mid May to mid Sept.
If you store it in a dark, cool place, it will lose little strength. If you bought it all in May, by September you might have to add a bit more to get the same effect.

Reactions: JJU
I have been using about 1/2 gallon a day of 13% and my sun is far worse here. I do keep it covered. But since your pool is slightly larger and you shouldn't burn as much off as me, that's a good estimate and I can verify it. Off season I can often go 3 days on a third of a gallon. I am switching to a SWCG soon, though... You should talk to your Ace. Maybe they can arrange a bulk order. Walmarts carry good 10% -- they just don't in cold climates. Again, you might be able to get a case shipped to your local store even if you are in the "wrong" geographic location. Good luck!

Reactions: JJU
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.