Captclam

Jan 18, 2023
Greenville, NC
I have the utmost respect for the time people take to answer questions. I have spent a few hours reading these forums and learned a lot. However, I can’t understand what my best options would be as no post has both my pump and heat pump.

Hi. Here is my setup:
Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump
RayPak 6450TI-E-HC Heat/Cool Pump
Hayward AuqaRite Salt Chlorination System

Pretty simple. Not worried about remote control of the salt system. Just the other two components.

I would love to be able to adjust heat pump temp, which I guess I can do via three wire and control heat and cool temps by setting each and having a temperature spread setting or maybe ambient air to determine which fireman’s switch get 24 volts? That said, unless the pump is running, it won’t heat or cool because there is no flo or too low to trigger the flo switch in the heat pump. I believe it is an incredibly low 1,500 RPM, which is pretty cool.

I have my pump programmed for speed one for 8 hours at 2,400 RPM, 8 at 1,500 and the rest off. Often times I would like to take a swim late at night and have to walk down to the pump and hit the quick clean button to get the system running. I would also love to see the pool temp and water temp and control the pump set temp remotely.

Ideally, a companion’s phone app would be great, but I don’t want to break the bank. Doing it from inside the house I guess would be okay, but not ideal. Advise for both options would be appreciated. I would love to keep it under $600 bucks if local only and under a grand if I get WiFi and a phone app out of it. Pipe dream?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Capt’n

Welcome to TFP.

I do not know of any of the pool automation systems that control the COOL function of the Raypak HP. You can control a Pentair VS pump and the heat function of the Raypak HP with a few Pentair automation systems.

I don’t think you can get to where you described with the equipment you have.

That is helpful information. Mostly because I know that you do not need special equipment for the cool function. The purpose of the three wire versus two wire configuration is that 1 26 V ac leg controls, the spa function, and the other controls the pool function. By setting the temperatures at different settings between the two it artificially creates the heat versus cool settings. The idea is that you would set the pool temperature setting as cool and perhaps 75°, and you would set the spa to heat at say 85° and based on the ambient temperature your controller would send a 26 V Firemans switch activation to the appropriate wire.

Reactions: ajw22
I use a Sonoff TH-16 with temp probe to control my Pentair heater. Sonoff replaced the TH-16 with a better unit that now provides dry contacts (for connection to the fireman's switch) and historical data. It's controlled by the eWeLink app which is compatible with Alexa/Google Home apps. Here is the updated unit:

With the correct cable, your pump can also be controlled using simple Sonoff relays via the eWeLink app. Take a look at the pump manual for connecting to automation. The pump carries its own 5 volt power source.

Check out the Low Budget Automation link in my signature for some ideas.

@budhatho used two Sonoff switches to control his heater; one connected to the pool setting and the other to spa setting. Check out his post...

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.