Automation Questions

n4trombl

Aug 9, 2020
Porter, TX
J,

Pentair makes two automation systems that I would not recommend to even my mother-in-law.. The IntelliConnect and the "lite" version of the EasyTouch..

You need a real EasyTouch with ScreenLogic, or the new IntelliCenter.

Your list shows a good pump... the IntelliFlo, and a good filter, the CCP-520

If you still don't own a cell phone, than a Pentair Racer with booster pump is for you.. But assuming you don't still live in the 60's, you really should dump any type of water powered cleaner, and get yourself a low voltage Robot.. Something like this..

I personally like saltwater pools, but understand that can be a hard sell in the Houston area.

Thanks,

Jim R.
@Jimrahbe Stumbled across this as I was doing some searching of my own regarding equipment and pumps. I'm a newbie and doing an owner pool build in Houston TX and we are starting our dig 9/3. Wanted to get your opinion on a couple items if you don't mind:

1) Was originally looking at the Hayward Automation (and Hayward equipment) however I've been reading up and watching more on the Pentair IntelliCenter and wondering if that might be a better route. I found a few posts back in 2018 when IntelliCenter seemed much newer which comes with its own troubles, but as of more recently, would you say it'd be a safer bet?

2) Appreciate the living in the 60's comment :) I too had planned on a water powered cleaner, but am really liking what I'm seeing with the Robot instead. Saves the trouble of needing to have a cleaner pump and line dedicated I assume?

n4,

I have three pools and they each have an EasyTouch Automation system, IC40 Salt Cells and IntelliFlo pumps. I love them.. It was the best pool decision that I have ever made..

That said, it I were going to build a new pool, I would install the new IntelliCenter.. It is much better.. Color, can be attached to the internet for firmware updates. has the ability to store 100 programs, my EasyTouch has 12... etc...

I have three robots and love them also, but not everyone has the same likes and dislikes, so my job is to give people options and let them decide what will work best for them. I personally do not want to see my pool cleaner in my pool, except when it needs to be.. Other people don't have that problem and would rather have the cleaner in the pool 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
Jim,

Thanks so much for the prompt response! I wasn't sure if I should have created a new thread or not, but going forward I will. I have spent a lot of time reading different forums, just never really participating. But stepping into an owner build I am finding the more questions you ask the better. I am excited to have the control to do it my own way, but am thankful & appreciative for any and all expert guidance.

For the automation, glad to hear the IntelliCenter is much better. It seems like it can be overwhelming with all the different combinations you can create which is why I felt the need to start posting my own questions.

In agreement with you on the pool cleaner not needing to be seen...I've got no problem with going out there any running it whenever it needs to be ran, especially if it saves me the trouble of plumbing a pump and line to the pool.

Not sure if you saw my signature, but being that I have not yet started the build, I was planning to head to SCP Distributors in the next couple weeks to acquire my equipment. Plan to just store in the garage but have it ready to go. I had created a thread you can find here (Equipment Guidance) trying to confirm I've got all the necessary equipment. One change though is I've decided I want to go SWG, but otherwise everything in the signature is what I have spec'd out. Any advice you could offer me on it would be outstanding!

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info! Actually pretty funny, in my equipment spreadsheet for the Automation Center I actually had a link to Polytec Pools for the Pentair IntelliCenter. But fantastic catch as the one I had did not include the IC40 nor the transformer. But based on what I'm seeing for these, I believe any one should be the total package if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like this one should fit the bill: Pentair IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 Kit - Pool and Spa with Load Center and IC40

From Pentair's site, I'm guessing when you mention make sure it comes with the internal SWCG power supply, you are talking about the column Includes SCG Transformer below? If so, then the top one listed (521903) looks like it'd be good to me. The only other one I see that includes the IC40 and is a YES for Transformer is 521906. Both are i5 but not really sure difference between i5 & i8. i5 is about ~$200 cheaper on Polytec Pools. I have confirmed both 521903 & 521906 are Pool/Spa.

1597286393082.png

If you don't mind confirming what I've selected, that'd be great! Really appreciate the catch!

-Nick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.